CFAI quant questions hard??

does anyone else find these very difficult? If these (especially probabilities/sampling topics). i hope they arent representative of what we will be seeing in the lvl1 exam!

I would also like to know that. They are hard. I hope somebody steps in and clears it up

Quant questions in June 08 L1 were the easiest of all. I don’t recall doing any long calculations, the questions were more concept based. Cheers

So post things that you find hard and we’ll straighten them out. Rather than worrying about the problems, it would be best to go into the exam understanding all the material so you have nothing to worry about. There are no topics you can just blow off; remmber that for every 4 people who sign up for the LI exam only 1 passes… Edit: And some of those have say quant Ph.D.'s…

Can someone provide an example of a concept based quant question that requires no calculations? I have heard this over and over, and I just have trouble even conceptualizing the concept! Are they more along the lines of: Here are some numbers and here is the answer, if number X was twice as large how would that impact the answer? Something like that?

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >for every 4 people who sign > up for the LI exam only 1 passes… =============================== With all due respect, JDV, wouldn’t it be closer to one for every 2.86 passes? Regarding the thread topic, I think what you’re seeing here is correct. Learning the concepts > memorizing the formulas. An example of something they’d ask would be, given some key variables, identify what kind of test should be used, or something along those lines.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So post things that you find hard and we’ll > straighten them out. Rather than worrying about > the problems, it would be best to go into the exam > understanding all the material so you have nothing > to worry about. There are no topics you can just > blow off; remmber that for every 4 people who sign > up for the LI exam only 1 passes… > > Edit: And some of those have say quant Ph.D.'s… Please don’t tell those of us with Quant Ph.D.'s this! :slight_smile:

Chi Paul … Search May 2008 posts in level 1 forum, I am sure you will plenty of examples of how the questions can be conceptual

cjones65 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > >for every 4 people who sign > > up for the LI exam only 1 passes… > =============================== > > With all due respect, JDV, wouldn’t it be closer > to one for every 2.86 passes? > No because so many people drop out before the exam. 1 out of every 2.86 who actually takes the exam passes, but oodles of people see the writing on the wall and sleep in.

I should have read your reply more carefully. I wasn’t counting no-shows. I’m curious to know exactly how many registered and, of those, how many actually sat for the exams. Can you tell me if these figures are available?

> > > No because so many people drop out before the > exam. 1 out of every 2.86 who actually takes the > exam passes, but oodles of people see the writing > on the wall and sleep in. if you sleep in, you are an idiot. what will you lose for a 6 hr exam. unless you found jessica alba on the way to the exam center and she wants you to take here to a holiday inn, there is no reason to forcefully no show. anyways, the quant in june was conceptual, that is true. so we got lucky. but quant in general was my hardest section and I would not take it lightly. the only way to understand this crap is to read the CFAI book twice and probably seek out some 3rd party stuff for this section. schswer was a bit confusing, i recently saw stallas stuff on quant and it was not bad.

I think it depends on the level but something like 1/3 who sign up don’t show. Either there are lots of idiots or Jessica Alba gets around.

^Assuming daj’s logic is infallible. But seriously, has CFAI posted the numbers for level 1, or do we have to wait for an official press release? People ask me how many people sat for level 1 all the time, and I say ballpark 35,000. Is that about right for total who registered? What about the total that actually sat?

what does the # who sat in the exam in a particular year have to do with Quant being hard or not? ??? just study and post questions when in doubt. That will help you pass much better than this… my .02. CP

Now wait a minute…It doesn’t but since when does a thread have to stay on topic? In general, I think that the CFA exams are different than most exams people take because the failure rate is so high. That means that posts like the original post just lead to trouble.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: In general, I > think that the CFA exams are different than most > exams people take because the failure rate is so > high agreed. it is war. screw the olympics. I have my own verson right in my living room. me vs. swaps …me vs convexity. me vs multiple IRR .

But daj - I love to help with that stuff…