CFAI Reponse Regarding Work Experience

I basically shot an email into them asking if it was a waste of my time and the review panels time if I submitted my work experience on the off chance that they might accept some engineering work count towards the required 48 months…here is there great and helpful response: ---------------- Thank you for writing. Because of the large number of applicants and candidates in the CFA Program, CFA Institute is unable to provide pre-determinations or advice regarding work experience prior to the membership application process. Acceptable work experience for regular membership in CFA Institute and award of the CFA charter involves spending 50% or more of your time evaluating or applying financial, economic and/or statistical data as part of the investment decision-making process involving securities or similar investments, which includes, publicly traded and privately placed stocks, bonds and mortgages and their derivatives; commodity-based derivatives and mutual funds; and other investment assets, such as real estate and commodities, if these other investment assets are held as part of a diversified, securities-oriented investment portfolio; supervising persons who conduct such activities; or teaching such activities. To determine whether your specific background meets the definition of acceptable work experience, and to view sample job titles, please carefully review the work experience guidelines. Based on these guidelines, applicants should submit detailed narratives about their positions. The work experience will be reviewed only as part of a complete membership application, including a society selection and appropriate sponsor forms. More details about CFA Institute membership are available online.

looks like a copy - paste to me, but at least they responded!