Changing from commercial banking field to investment analysis

Bill West’s advice on becoming an ibanker, “find someone and kiss his butt”. it’ll be interesting meeting someone like you. I wonder how an ibanker looks with kneepads on. but hey, at least you can try to trump someone after losing your dignity right?

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nice job throwing out random finance buzz > words don’t understand your sarcasm, numi. i’m only trying to say that an IB may not be a best case for those who want move to investment field. one may consider other related fields that may be interesting from that point of view. other places may be not so rewarding as an IB, but will give real investment expertise, at minimum from the research point of view, at the beginner’s position.

time to be serious. Investment Banking is a very broad term and I doubt that you understand the various roles within an IB. Normally, you are an investment Banker if you work on the M&A side, however, you can still work for an IB in a number of interesting roles like Research, Trading, DCM, Corp Coverage, Conduit…blah…blah From your perspective, you won’t jump straight into M&A…it just won’t happen. The most similar line of work for you to make your transition would be to try and work on a corporate coverage team (i.e Relationship Mgmt) where you would be involved with cross selling the a range of proucts to Corporates. This way you would work with your M&A/DCM guys etc. This will be the easiest route because commercial banking is identical to corporate coverage except that the size/product offering is alot smaller. Once you are in then you will build strong relationships with the product teams and can move on and up. You still have to be good to make the jump from commercial to corporate, however, I have seen a number of people do it.

I thought you were the one who wanted to be an ibanker more than anyone. How’s that coming along pal? >FrankArabia Wrote: >------------------------------------------------------- > Bill West’s advice on becoming an ibanker, “find > someone and kiss his butt”. > > it’ll be interesting meeting someone like you. I > wonder how an ibanker looks with kneepads on. but > hey, at least you can try to trump someone after > losing your dignity right?

Bill West, no need to try and trump me. I won’t lose. so nevermind where I’m at, worry about your deadlines and pitchbook. I seen your other post too, and its funny how you always try to say something about something. didn’t know i had that kind of effect on you. keep it moving. there are bigger fish in the see and a wise man from afar can see what’s going on. plus, you wear kneepads.

ok Frank. you win. again!

Frank - is that wise man from afar an Afarian? Is that anywhere near Derkderkastan?

You fought a great fight. I’m just the better man tonight. we can certainly have a rematch. you deserve it pal.

Well, although i’m working in commercial bank, i know a little bit about how IB works. Thanks God, I’m not a retail banking officer, so having some prospects to join IB related to intellectual facilities:)) I have passion to IB appealing to research. That means I’m applying for job in CorFin. It’s interesting for me to focus on one industry (banking and/or automotive) and cover stocks and/or bonds. I don’t pretend to stellar career in IB, because i heard how it beeing: first year analysts spent their time building DCF models and editing pitchbooks. Probably many analysts do nothing, but put together pitches. Exactly this moment of job are not intellectual one and i feel strength to do this:)) After 2 years of hard daily cowsh*t analysis i’ll become closer to activities mainly related to live transactions and clients. Unfortunately, i received today job refusal from sweety IB (30% of the market), but almost having a job offer from one of rating agencies. Perhaps i’ll use RA-opportunities to enter IB in the future, i dunno. Mainly, if i wanna be a research analyst, i need to pass CFA and probably don’t need MBA, right? 2Seb25: I don’t understand that you are suggesting to me. What concrete in CorFin? 2FrankArabia: Thank you very much for advise and for hearten me up. By the way, i’m talking about em. market. Having hope it’ll be easier to go into IB here than on Wall Street. 2numi & cfasamadu: You guys like two roosters from the Street and it seems that you played first-plan roles in Brokeback Mountain:)) 2bosco: my fellow, you need a rush hedge fund carrier or private equity as you said:)))

I feel like you’re trying to take a shot at me, but the only problem is that I am having a ton of trouble deciphering what the heck you are saying. Can we have an English translation, please? Maybe that way I can decide whether or not I should feel insulted by your blindingly intelligible commentary.

Numi - this guy is in an emerging market, which could be just about anywhere but here. Derkderkastan? Derka derka sherpa!

:((

marazmatic Wrote: > > 2Seb25: I don’t understand that you are suggesting > to me. What concrete in CorFin? i don’t understand your sentence/question…

This is the best thread I have seen on here since the post about the sink.