Changing from commercial banking field to investment analysis

Good day to all, gentels and madams. I’m working in commercial bank as branch analyst but i would like to change my field of activity to investment analysis and possibly get job in IB. I know that investment bankers despise commercial one and i have compulsive thoughts that it is completely impossible for me today to join community of IB. And so, I want you to ask is it any chances to join IB without getting CFA? And after it preparing to exams or else i need to pass CFA before? Thanks for any ideas. Yours, marazmatic IB wonderer

Wait, are you saying that you’re working out of a retail branch of a bank? If that’s the case, then your probably working on loan requests from small businesses with credit extension decisions made by entering a persons credit score into a computer. I’d be inclined to believe you have little to no chance of getting into IB without a CFA at least.

If you want into banking a CFA isn’t going to help all that much…the CFA would help a lot for research but banking you’ll have to show you’re smart, ready for the move, understand the industry and so forth (read other posts about getting into IB)… you might want to consider an MBA to jumpstart a career change like this.

Thanks, people. 2Son of Man: i’m analysin’ and preparin’ materials that presents whole bankin’ branch network statistics, bankin’ products, facts, analysis and recommendations. it’s not even connected to any credit analysis. 2strikershank: MBA establish a strong reputation as well known facility against everything:))))) It’s too hard artillery for fixing such small problem. Am i wrong?

given your background, your chances of getting into IB are very minimal. and even if you had an MBA or CFA or whatever, can you imagine how many people there are with the MBA or CFA charter trying to get these jobs?? sorry.

What do you have against the suffix “ing”?

Conservin’ g’s. Saves ink. Tied into global warmin’. Try it, you’ll be cooler.

Shouldn’t that apply to the word “everything” as well, if it’s a conservation thing?

Thanks for advise! 2numi: it sounds like if all MBA’s would be crazy about competition from one another:))) probably, the whole human life is an endurance race and we are trying to do the bests. 2Turkish: everything is fine, man. please, be gentle. 2DarienHacker: i have atomic chances, but i wanna try to save my soul;))

lol. this guy is awesome

there are a couple of empty offices on wall street right now that could use this guys upbeat outlook on life and zany outside the box thinking

Sometimes people on this site makes it feel like no one else can make it in IB or IM except themselves. Matter of fact, IB or IM is not close to the most difficult things in life so guys give us a break and the industry is full of very few smart heads and a lot of bullshitters.

True, but I’m still wonderin(g)… do the smart heads or the bullshitters end up making more money… :wink:

its not impossible but its hard. if you’re at the stage of asking what it takes to get into ibanking, then you’re problably still a step away from it. i was asking the same questions about 7 months ago. Me a Discount Broker still. You mentioned investment banking and investment analysis as if they were the same thing, which in my opinion are two different things. I’m talking about corporate finance though which according to Vault guide is the classical def. of investment banking. take the advice from here casually and selectively. some are overly pessimistic and others are speaking the truth like when i say Mayweather will dominate. Just be happy you don’t have to see Miguel Cotto on the other side of the ring come November 10th.

heed franky boy’s advice on how to get into ib…he is the resident expert in this field

to FrankArabia to marazmatic completely agree with FrankArabia, first you should define for yourself what do you realy need, or where you may go from CB, investment analysis (not IB) or corporat finance may be much more real than IB and may also give you more expertise than preparing IB pitches in research. it depends on what you real need and where you are realy strong in. consider other investments-related fields as private equity, assets management, corpfin etc.

marazmatic, you seem like you have quality writing skills. my advice would be to take advantage of the current script writers’ strike, get some work as a scab on 30 Rock or the Office and parlay that into a full-time gig when the strike ends. Your off-the-wall comedic writing (case in point, dropping your g’s) will kill. Best of luck!

bosco Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > to FrankArabia > to marazmatic > > completely agree with FrankArabia, first you > should define for yourself what do you realy need, > or where you may go from CB, investment analysis > (not IB) or corporat finance may be much more real > than IB and may also give you more expertise than > preparing IB pitches in research. > > it depends on what you real need and where you are > realy strong in. consider other > investments-related fields as private equity, > assets management, corpfin etc. nice job throwing out random finance buzz words…best advice ever

easy numi…we’re all waiting for your advice on if he wants to be an ibanker he should just become an ibanker :wink:

thanks dude