Character and Finance

Without getting into specific details, I got into some trouble the other night. This was a driving related incident and misdemeanor. I have a lawyer who assured me this will be taken care of. However, how does one’s personal character reflect in the financial service industry? I have read the CFAI Curriculm on ethics, but I’m currious how this looks in obtaining employment and so forth. Common sense says its BAD, but realistically we’ve all made mistakes up at some point, right? Just Curious.

My wife says DUI is ok. If you had a hit and run, though, she says, it might be a bit more serious - a felony. In general employers don’t want you to take advantage of them, your clients or somehow damage their reputation. I don’t think most employers care about one DUI too much.

I can understand that. This is not a drinking related incident. Being young, the last thing I need is a stigma that will haunt me for the remainder of my working years. Lawyer is not cheap, but I would rather keep the driving record clean for insurance premium reasons as well as for future employment endeavors.

That’s probably wise.

On a side note; I got out of jail Friday morning about 5am. Luckily it was near my office, so I walked to work and began my day. When the CEO arrived, I asked to speak with him. Earlier this year he got a speeding ticket for 95 in a 55 and got it wiped from his record with his lawyer. After I explained what happened to me the night before, he was pissed! “Fcuking bstards!” he shouted. “I can’t believe you got locked up for that with all the other crime that happens in this city!” Immediatly we conference called his lawyer and arranged a consultation. After setting the meeting, the CEO said, “Lawyer, I hate to say this, but we’ve reached a time in our lives where EVERYONE needs a legal professional in their life for these types of situations. I will pay you a few hours of your time and lunch if you can come here for an hour and speak with everyone in my firm.” The lawyer agreed, but said lunch is enough. I hate to agree, but I think we have arrived to a time where one needs a lawyer like they need home/auto insurance. Upon being arrested, I did demand to speak with my lawyer as I know one and have his cell number. But of course I was not allowed to make any calls until several hours after booking.

Curious - what made you think this was a good idea to mention to the CEO? Are you on a personal relationship with him/her (don’t care how big/small your firm is)? If not, I think you’re showing a pattern of bad judgment. Even if you are, I think you should deal with your own problems like a man/woman. And you’re comment that everyone should have a lawyer is rediculous. Just my opinion, of course…

Being the CEO has a nasty driving record, I did not find it inappropriate to ask for some help with my mishap. Guy has 3 tickets this year alone that I know about. The CEO sits no more than 30 feet from me so we talk often. “Even if you are, I think you should deal with your own problems like a man/woman.” I am dealing with it on my own. What is the harm in finding a reputable lawyer? I do know one lawyer, but I don’t know his track record. The one the CEO referred to me has saved him a fortune on insuance premium hikes.

your CEO does 95 in a 55 zone? You did the same thing and are pissed about it? If you ask me…the hike in insurance premium would of taught him and you a lesson.

dude, we are not here to judge anyone… KJH, i just hope this matter is handled to your satisfaction… good luck with that. about everyone needing lawyers, yes thats a bit of an over-generalization, but there is absolutely nothing wrong in having an ICE number! so what did the lawyer suggest you do? maybe a few guidelines as to what actions must be taken in case this happens to one of us?

Just know that there is a difference between getting in trouble for lapse of judgment (i.e., dui’s, fights, etc) and there is getting in trouble for moral turpitude (fraud, embezzlement, stealing, etc.). I think the industry is more concerned about the latter, so you probably don’t need to worry about it. Just don’t make it a pattern :slight_smile:

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > On a side note; > > I got out of jail Friday morning about 5am. > Luckily it was near my office, so I walked to work > and began my day. When the CEO arrived, I asked > to speak with him. Earlier this year he got a > speeding ticket for 95 in a 55 and got it wiped > from his record with his lawyer. After I > explained what happened to me the night before, he > was pissed! “Fcuking bstards!” he shouted. “I > can’t believe you got locked up for that with all > the other crime that happens in this city!” > Immediatly we conference called his lawyer and > arranged a consultation. After setting the > meeting, the CEO said, “Lawyer, I hate to say > this, but we’ve reached a time in our lives where > EVERYONE needs a legal professional in their life > for these types of situations. I will pay you a > few hours of your time and lunch if you can come > here for an hour and speak with everyone in my > firm.” The lawyer agreed, but said lunch is > enough. > > I hate to agree, but I think we have arrived to a > time where one needs a lawyer like they need > home/auto insurance. Upon being arrested, I did > demand to speak with my lawyer as I know one and > have his cell number. But of course I was not > allowed to make any calls until several hours > after booking. Sigh. I thought it was just when you hit 40. I have had my lifetime fill of lawyers and it never stops…

The other legal advice I would give you is to get a good introduction to whichever lawyer you choose to make your lifetime friend, don’t call someone out of the blue. That being said… Lawyers suck! All you lawyers reading this: YOU SUCK. (no smiley face icon. none)

I’ve always been concerned about this myself, I am a bit of a knucklehead when i go out and drink too much. so occasionally i find myself in a position in which could lead to the indignity of facing an assault charge. Also my enthusiasm for autocross and road racing is sometimes reflected in my driving and i have driven at speeds which would definitely result in jailtime. However, when reading through the ethics portion of the CFA material i got the impression that they are mostly concerned with behaviour which directly relates to your work. Id imagine that having a reckless driving charge is not the same as fraud in the eyes of the institute. That being said having a criminal record will pretty much eliminate your career options. I wonder, what type of car does your CEO drive?

My CEO has a juiced up Benz. Not sure the number, AMG Edition I want to say. For the record, he was driving that fast because he was running late to his son’s hockey game. I asked him how that conversation goes as the officer approaches the window. “It does’nt” he told me. “I didn’t say a word, didn’t offer my speed, didn’t even agree to anything he tried to accuse me of.” From now on I will have this mindset. No more Honest Abe as we see where that can take you. "The other legal advice I would give you is to get a good introduction to whichever lawyer you choose to make your lifetime friend, don’t call someone out of the blue. " This is the exact reason I did not open the Yellow Pages or surf Findlaw.com. I spoke with the CEO for the lawyer that helped him along nicely. Advice I can give. Well I was a knucklehead, enough said there. This is the first time I’ve ever considered challenging an offense. As I found myself arrested, I simply shut up. Did not say a word the entire time. I cooperated with jail staff and got out about 7 hours after I got booked. If any of you really care, I can post what happens with the court date, and settlement the lawyer assured me of. Also be ready to pay. Lawyers are not cheap! Likewise, to those of you who were pointing your fingers my way; make sure your hands are clean.

bm_chicago Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dude, we are not here to judge anyone… KJH, i > just hope this matter is handled to your > satisfaction… good luck with that. > > about everyone needing lawyers, yes thats a bit of > an over-generalization, but there is absolutely > nothing wrong in having an ICE number! > > so what did the lawyer suggest you do? maybe a few > guidelines as to what actions must be taken in > case this happens to one of us? I got the following from an acquaintance whom got his JD from Univesity of Chicago. It makes sense, but its always good to know. How to deal with Police 1 If you are totally innocent, be totally honest with the cops: I know this may sound counter-intuitive to some of you, but if you have nothing to hide, then do not hide anything. Law enforcement officers tend to have good bullshit radars; they may not know what you are hiding, but they usually know when you are hiding something, so if you are truly innocent, let everything out. Give them every detail, tell them every truth, and agree to any test, no matter how absurd the story is. Be honest, tell the WHOLE story, and 99% of the time you will be fine. 2 If you are kind of guilty, i.e., you did something wrong but it wasn’t that bad, supplicate yourself to the cop and place yourself at their mercy: I cannot tell you how many times a cop has caught me peeing in an alley, loitering, or some shit like that, and I have gotten out of it. How? I apologize profusely, I cooperate all I can, and, well…I act like a little bitch, to be honest. There only thing the average cop hates more than all the bullshit that comes along with arresting someone on a small charge is the person who did the small charge giving him attitude. If you do something small and stupid, by being nice and submissive about it, you give the cop a reason to let you go. Be a jerk, and you give him a reason to take you in. 3 If you are guilty and know it, shut the fuck up: I cannot emphasize this enough: If you are truly guilty, like for real did some serious shit wrong–SHUT UP. You may think cops are dumb, but chances are they know the law better than you know and can trap you in a lie, no matter how smart you are. The reason they are talking to you is to get you to say something incriminating or to pin you to a story that they can compare against later testimony. If you know you are fucked, the only possible way to unfuck yourself is to not give them anything to use against you and get to your lawyer ASAP. Most criminals are convicted, in part or in whole, on evidence that they gave to the police. Common sense, but always good to know.

That’s a great advice and exactly right! If you’re busted, there is nothing you can say to the cope to get you out of trouble, so just don’t talk without counsel! On a side-note, this line is hilarious to me "If you know you are @#%&, the only possible way to unfuck yourself is to not give them anything to use against you and get to your lawyer ASAP." I wonder what the @#%&, means :slight_smile:

The search feature can see right through thyose marks. For example, if you do a search on ‘a dumb blonde’ that message doesn’t show up.

If your doing 95 in a 55 zone you deserve to loose you license for a year. plain and simple

KJH, Have to second your remarks, I have two family members who are criminal lawyers who gave name the exact same advice: 1) If you are guilty: the less you say the less the police have to work with. Scimpy evidence = no charges or an aquital. Contray to what you see on CSI even eyewitnesses and DNA dont mean you are going down. 2) Never ever ever ever answer even the smallest questiosn without yor lawyer present. It will the cheapest $800 hour you ever paid for.