Charter letter - when?

Hi guys, after having passed L3 I am wondering how long it will take to receive Jeff’s charter letter? I am a full member, paid, everything OK. Does anybody know? As far as I know, we can use the “CFA” attachment upon receiving the letter? Thanks guys! gh

When you receive the letter you can use the CFA designation. They don’t make you wait until you receive the actual charter b/c that is up to the publisher.

Thanks Bigwilly! Do you know how long it takes to get that letter? Might take weeks…

Has anyone had any luck searching to see how long it takes? I am also in the same boat. Can’t find it.

No idea on how long the letter takes. Wish i knew.

When can you start using the CFA designation? You may use your designation once you have received a letter confirming the award of the charter from our president and CEO, Jeff Diermeier, CFA. This letter will be mailed once your membership has been confirmed.

looks like last year the website reflected CFA after your name on Sept 26th and the letter was received October 4th.

So it will take roughly 1.5-2 months to get the letter :frowning:

Holy cr*p. Well, I guess we can wait a little longer…

If you wait till you get the charter, you will have forgotten about passing the exam. Mine turned up on 30/12 last year, they couldn’t even give it to me as a Xmas present. Congratulations to all those who are now waiting

Just for reference, when do you guys get your names in the WSJ?

Sorry to ask: Wall Street Journal, names?

"Those who passed the Level III exam − 7,720 candidates − will begin receiving their CFA charters in early October, provided that they also have completed the minimum work-experience requirement of four years in the investment industry, signed a commitment to abide by the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct, apply to a CFA Institute society, and become a member of CFA Institute. " http://www.cfainstitute.org/aboutus/press/release/08releases/20080819_02.html

In the WSJ CFA publishes a list of people who received their charters, might be just North America or US.

My experience was… August 15th, 2005 - Logged on to AIMR site and got my passing results. Called AIMR September 20th, 2005 - “Hi, this is Willy R, was I awarded the CFA Charter”. “Hello Willy, yes, your Charter was awarded on September 15th, 2005 an you may begin using the CFA designation”. October 2nd, 2005 - Jeffs Letter. December 2005 - Toronto CFA Society Charter Award Luncheon. December 2005 [evening] - Major drinking binge and peeler romp. Willy

Willy, you rock. Love the Canadian usage of the peeler designation.

Gooman, Canada IS Jericho. Ok? Willy

No argument here. I’m from Sarnia although I live in NY.

Sarnia eh. Nice. Where abouts in New York Gooman, was just there about 2 weeks ago. Willy

I called the CFAI today and asked them. I became a full member in February and my work history has been verified. “Patrick” if that’s his real name said letters go out in the mail sometime the middle of september and you can use the designation as soon as you receive the letter. So I guess we wait another month.