Chelsea Clinton hedge fund job

Saw on the news this morning that Chelsea Clinton works for a Hedge Fund. Anyone happen to work with her or know exactly what she does there? If I remember she was a literature major or something. Just goes to show you its the name of the schools you went to (and who your connected to) not necessarily your experience in the field of finance when it comes to some jobs…

Hedge funds and private equity funds quickly snap up anyone with political connections. Political clout is very valuable, so of course who you know is a trump card.

believe shes at Avenue Cap

As I recall from the limited times I’ve heard her speak in public, Chelsea is pretty smart, went to Stanford, did (I believe) a stint at Oxford, and probably has a good insight of how the policy process works from first-hand observations. I’d choose her over the Bush girls any day for a job that requires serious thinking. I’m sure having a lot of political connections helps her out, but I wouldn’t dismiss her right away even if she wasn’t the daughter of an ex-President (and possibly the daughter of a future President, which might be even more valuable). Also, a lot of public policy reasoning is actually similar to investment thinking. You have limited budgets and limited political capital - now you want to deploy it in a way that maximizes the impact you want and minimizes the risk to yourself and/or the country. What makes the finance world a little better is that it is easier to define what impact counts as desirable (more money), as opposed to trying to decide how to balance employment, inflation, environment, preservation of liberties, economic growth, etc…

They don’t care where she went to school or what she studied. The dumber she is the better… for what they want her for.

Chelsea at a HF? Yes, we’ve definitely hit the top.

Know this one?? http://www.albrightcapital.com/

don’t be ridiculous guys – Chelsea did well at Stanford and was also a BA at McKinsey for a couple years out of the NY office. shouldn’t be a surprise that she landed a top HF gig, for all her personal qualifications (and notwithstanding her political connections)

Well one thing is for sure. She was not hired for her looks.

mcpass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Know this one?? > > http://www.albrightcapital.com/ Okay, when Madeline Half-bright opens a shop, this is just plain crazy. I knew that there was HF bubble, but this is beyond confirming that. It’s time to go into politics :wink:

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > don’t be ridiculous guys – Chelsea did well at > Stanford and was also a BA at McKinsey for a > couple years out of the NY office. shouldn’t be a > surprise that she landed a top HF gig, for all her > personal qualifications (and notwithstanding her > political connections) good one. lots of people did well at stanford. turn the tv on for 10 minutes and then remind us who’s mom they have been talking about for the past 8 years. if you had to choose between: a grad with ben graham potential in the making, and chelsea, don’t pretend that you would talk yourself into passing on her, especially right now. While we are here, I have to say that I have lived in central ny since 95 and I can’t think of one thing our junior senator has done other than roll through town, take a few pictures, and then every 10 months or so when people take notice that she hasn’t delivered, again, she’ll show up at a local univ and give that vague, catch all speech. say something breathtaking like “umm, for effective progress, we need to develop an actionable plan.” or “We need a long-term partnership between people in government at all levels and people in businesses, labor unions, schools and universities and community groups across New York” Yeah, thanks for that insight. after a quick google here is her plan. below… Awesome. You know what central NY needs? Broadband in rural areas. sweet. funny thing is it was dated 2001 and I can’t recall reading or hearing any follow up or results or people taking advantage or well anything really. (It is 7 years later and spitzer is calling on the same broadband genie mere days after his driver’s license debacle.) http://www.senate.gov/~clinton/news/statements/details.cfm?id=235952&& Technology Bonds: Localities will be allowed to use a new type of tax incentive, Technology Bonds, to expand high-speed Internet access in their communities. Broadband Expansion Grant Initiative of 2001: Complements Tech Bonds by accelerating private-sector deployment of broadband networks in under-served rural communities. Right now many families have to make long distance calls to connect to Internet. Broadband Rural Research Investment Act of 2001: Supports additional investments at the National Science Foundation for research in new broadband technology to increase services in remote and rural areas. Technology Extension Act of 2001: Provides small and medium-sized businesses with a technology extension program that provides the latest technology to improve productivity and promote economic growth. Entrepreneurial Incubators: Helps entrepreneurs who have good ideas but cannot afford lawyers and consultants to access the help they need with legal complexities such as preparing corporate charters, partnership agreements, contracts, patent and intellectual property rules, and basic marketing strategies. Regional Skills Alliances: Brings businesses, schools, and community colleges together to help create effective programs to ensure workers have the training needed to compete in the new economy. Brilliant. She has my vote. Lets put her in charge right now. whoohooo

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/100592.jpg chelsea got this gig (and her earlier one at McKinsey) largely because she’s BJ Clinton’s daughter. Her job is likely to hit up potential investors for $$$.

Don’t make this about Hillary. That said, the politics of the situation are obvious. The principals of Avenue are long time Clinton supporters (him and her). But I’ve seen nothing in Chelsea’s record that wouldn’t indicate she’s not qualified for the job. She’s also has some work done, and is probably a solid 6 now.

Great, the next thing I’m going to hear is that Monica is working in private equity.

>>But I’ve seen nothing in Chelsea’s record that >>wouldn’t indicate she’s not qualified for the job as are all the people who were passed over to give her the job.

Do you know anything about the people who were passed over? Didn’t think so. Also, if you’r against this kind of thing in general, I assume you never voted for GWB, correct? I mean, talk about having no talent and riding your parents connections!

HoldSideAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Don’t make this about Hillary. That said, the > politics of the situation are obvious. The > principals of Avenue are long time Clinton > supporters (him and her). But I’ve seen nothing > in Chelsea’s record that wouldn’t indicate she’s > not qualified for the job. She’s also has some > work done, and is probably a solid 6 now. I’ve seen her at lender’s meetings, she’s no 6…5 max, and that’s being generous

guest Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > >>But I’ve seen nothing in Chelsea’s record that > >>wouldn’t indicate she’s not qualified for the > job > > as are all the people who were passed over to give > her the job. People who are successful at McKinsey don’t get passed over for very many jobs…

HoldSideAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do you know anything about the people who were passed over? Didn’t think so. I know at least as much about them as you > Also, if you’r against this kind of thing in general, I assume you never voted for GWB, correct? yes, I’m against this kind of thing in general, and I never voted for bush43

I thought she was an analyst, but if she’s really on the fundraising side, can you imagine a better candidate? Stanford, McKinsey, plus, oh yeah, grew up in the White House? Imagine her freaking Rolodex! I’d hire her in a second.