China's "Social Credit System"

i’d have a perfect score.

I’m totally ok with re educating people for the sake of unity! Human rights is very subjective anyways!

China is probably like a lot of developing countries. It’s great to live there if 1) you’re rich, and 2) you generally don’t care about things other than yourself. If you have money, you can buy security, services, education for your kids, quality healthcare - maybe overseas, and other desirable amenities. However, you will be always aware of some social issues that would bother people from developed countries.

Most developing countries also have large populations of real poor people (not just Walmart class people), and underdeveloped policies with respect to civil rights and the environment. The government does not have to be outright oppressive like in China - it can be simply neglectful, and lots of human suffering, as a result, goes unaddressed. If you’re uncomfortable with migrant families being stopped at the border, you’re probably not ok with children in your country wandering barefoot in the city as beggars.

Nery, a lot of Chinese chicks will bang you and try to marry you if you have $1 million. Realistic life goal there.

Yep lots of poor means cheap labor. Which is why we had a lot of maids growing up. I could literally ring a bell just for someone to cook me a hot dog. It was very nice. I believe it cost about 500 bucks a year to have a maid, it’s prolly a g nowadays.

as far as Chinese chicks go. I heard there is actually a lack of chicks in China especially in the rural areas due to the one child policy.

Whether something is a craphole place is very relative. I have a friend in HK who lives in a beautiful townhome with sweeping views of the south china sea, has maids and a chaffeur…but he calls HK a craphole because his kids say the skateboard park here sucks compared to LA, and the food isn’t as good as Santa Monica. China cities are no crapholes if you base it on infrastructure, public safety, and some lifestyle things like good parks and restaurants. At least not compared to Manila, Jakarta or many India cities. Even air quality which is very bad in China, is only a bit worse than India if at all. Places like Manila, Jakarta, Ho chi min are giant parking lots and crime ridden.

Where China really falls down is what BS is referring to – the persecution of minorities, the lack of some basic freedoms, government kleptocracy, and the never ceasing meddling in every personal or business affair. It’s a maddening place that is very tough place to do business.

To Ohai’s point, I would add some more context from my own experience. My brother’s wife’s family are extremely rich Chinese from Jakarta. Which is great, but the problem is when people in any country become rich the first thing they do is move to a “good” neighborhood. In a place like Jakarta there’s a ceiling on those sort of things, even the mansions are lower build quality than the US because you simply don’t have the skilled labor and building codes. You’re still driving in four hour third world traffic jams even though you have a chauffer and the place is still a high poverty destination with terrible air quality. So being rich in a place like China is generally less good than being rich in any high quality country.

It sort of does, on nearly every conceivable social and economic metric the US is a better place to live, net migration rates tell the tale of the tape.

I’ve dated a extremely rich Chinese from Jakarta. And the difference is that it doesn’t take as much to be rich in Jakarta. I’m not sure if the third world problems or the house servants would be more meaningful to happiness, but it does not seem clear cut. I also think it’s easier to accumulate wealth in those countries given the lower levels of competent competition. If I was an ethnic minority I would definitely consider buying a small business back in my mother land. Research suggests there is a lot of opportunities for improvement

I don’t know how it “doesn’t take much to be rich”, I was using the same definitions I would use here. Family definitely has $300-500k paintings on the wall and the university library and hospitals named after them, which would be wealthy anywhere. To say there’s less competition isn’t really remotely accurate either. For starters, simply “starting a business” in a lot of these non free market economies isn’t simple. A lot of it boils down to political connections and you were either born in a class or you were not. The downside in these situations is the tide can turn quickly. Beyond that, nothing you said even remotely negated the points I made in the prior post, the advantage to being rich is living in a nice area, unfortunately in those countries you’re just in the better end of the sh*thole.

At the end of the day, all of those rich families’ kids either wind up going to school in the US, living in the US, often the parents move over when they retire and when major medical treatments are required, the people that have hospitals named for them ditch the homeland to get the treatment at a facility in the US. Again, net migration tells gives you all you need to know, it’s not like people are striking it big in the US to go live in the east.

i guess it just depends on the person. personally, i dont like doing chores or manual labor as it is not lit, so i would rather have hired help do it for me. i definitely cannot afford to pay someone 35k per year to do that shit. but i would definitely shell out 2k each and multiple people to handle all the crap. imagine if you can have nannies to help you out for babies. you can have an enormous family at a bargain price. you can literally prep your kids to an extreme level with tutors at a cheap rate and send them back to the us in hs when shit starts to count.

there is also a lot of poor highly educated people. you could also start a business like a customer service thing for low quality, but you need the us contacts to have customers. for higjer level stuff, you can literally hire a grad from their top school for like 12k/year. when my mom was a comp programmer in manila, they paid her about 15k/year. she moves here, and it becomes 5x that instantly. now that’s what you call arbitrage!

crime isnt a big deal if ur baller. nothing going to happen to you when you live in an ivory tower in manila with gated security and a personal concierge to keep criminals away. just dont tell people you are rich and everything should be ok. dont wear expensive ass shit. strapped security isnt that expensive as well at prolly like 4k/year it can be driver with a gun. but imo its unnecessary unless you’re in politics.

a huge con is prolly that some things are more expensive. like a benz in the philippines will cost u 2x the price due to tariffs, taxes etc than what it would cost in the us.

for net migration, i think people come to the us, make bank, then return home, where your money goes the distance. anyways here are my thoguhts by net worth.

0$, you need to earn so us is better cuz u get paid 5x.

$500k and old, i would go with poor country as it is cheaper, and no one will want you.

$500k and young, you might want to earn more for a safety net.

1m, you can retire in philippines.

10m, is prolly where you might prefer the us because at that point, who cares if you pay 30k for a nanny or 3k for a nanny. you’ll overpay to be where you want to be. ish kind of like paying for bottle service.

100m guaranteed the us is better. i would consider just moving to us.