CLO Yields

Why do investors in senior bond classes of a CLO earn higher yields than comparable corporate bonds?
Q number 6 in picture

1 Like

I was a Quant Dev on the CDO desk at Lehman Brothers in 2008…

Here are factors that are true to all structured products (including CLOs):

• Combining elements of several financial instruments makes structured products tricky to monitor across changing market environments.
  • Structured products are bespoke, so they are often tough to resell.
  • Banks are the main providers of structured products, exposing investors to significant counterparty risks. (I saw this first hand at Lehman Brothers – many of our CDOs / CLOs SPVs suffered greatly when Lehman defaulted and couldn’t perform its functions)
  • The cost structure of these instruments is opaque.

Because of the above factors (and other factors), investors in CLOs typically demand a higher yield than on comparably rated corporate bonds.

Adding to Xavier’s excellent reply above, I would add that typically, gearing is higher in a CLO tranche compared to a corporate of same rating.

So typically say the AAA will be perhaps 60-65% LTV in CLOs, while you’re probably sub 10% in a corporate of that rating.

The math works, in the sense that the LGD in CLO AAA is close to 0, but almost by construction, you’re more exposed to tail risk.

1 Like

Thank you @Xavier_Robitaille. That makes things clearer.