"Closing" the interview/sell side

I didnt get much response on my sell side research associate post, so I will assume there just arent that many sell siders here. my next question is more general: what do you guys usually close with when doing a late round interview, where you know what happens in the days following the interview can change your fate? I feel silly asking this at all, b/c i consider myself pretty decent at interviewing. Would it be STUPID to close an interview saying something like “I want you to know that I really want this position, am a fast learner, love this business” etc…? Typically, I have just thanked them for their time and left – then sent a thank you note. but i want to put my best foot forward for this upcoming test… thanks guys. If you work on sell side research, your opinion matters to me extra. I have pinged a bunch of sell siders I know in my personal life and they have been giving me some good pointers…if you run a coverage universe or help a sr analyst currently, I would def love to hear from you.

I work on the sell side… I can’t really answer your interview questions but I would say that your closing line isn’t going to move the needle either way. Saying thank you or that you really want the position… both are fine. If it goes well you’re going to get the job based on the rest of the interview not you’re closing line

I work on the sell-side and have been interviewing a lot lately. I used to use a line similar to your example about how you want the job, etc. My thinking was that it seemed like a good idea to close the interview with on a positive note while showing enthusiasm, however I now think it makes you seem overeager and possibly a little desperate. I now have a less orthodox approach that seems to be working much better. If I think the interview went well and they are interested, I will ask what their hiring timeline is and say, “I am curious to know because I am interested in this offer but am also moving along with other firms and may have to make a decision shortly.” This seems to peak the interest of the hiring team and kick things into gear. To me, the interview process is similar to dealing with women – the higher the perception that other parties are interested in you, the higher your value. It doesn’t make logical sense (shouldn’t your value be evaluated independent of what others think?), but it’s true nonetheless. Basically, it comes down to a value proposition. If you say you are a fast learner, want the job, etc. it sends the message that they are the higher value entity and that you should be grateful to have the job. I want to frame the situation so that it I am the higher value entity and they should be happy to have me. People naturally want what is in demand, so you are doing yourself a favor by playing coy and keeping some distance. Obviously you don’t want to be so aloof that they doubt your interest and you knock yourself out of the running, but don’t give up your power as a candidate either.

JasonU Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If it goes well you’re going to get the job based > on the rest of the interview not you’re closing > line I used to believe this – that the facts were self-evident (i.e., who is more qulaified, better, etc.) and that firms make perfect decisions. They don’t though. Psychological factors are a large component. There are lots of well qualified people out there and not everyone gets the job. Just my two cents.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I work on the sell-side and have been interviewing > a lot lately. I used to use a line similar to your > example about how you want the job, etc. My > thinking was that it seemed like a good idea to > close the interview with on a positive note while > showing enthusiasm, however I now think it makes > you seem overeager and possibly a little > desperate. > > I now have a less orthodox approach that seems to > be working much better. If I think the interview > went well and they are interested, I will ask what > their hiring timeline is and say, “I am curious to > know because I am interested in this offer but am > also moving along with other firms and may have to > make a decision shortly.” This seems to peak the > interest of the hiring team and kick things into > gear. To me, the interview process is similar to > dealing with women – the higher the perception > that other parties are interested in you, the > higher your value. It doesn’t make logical sense > (shouldn’t your value be evaluated independent of > what others think?), but it’s true nonetheless. > > Basically, it comes down to a value proposition. > If you say you are a fast learner, want the job, > etc. it sends the message that they are the higher > value entity and that you should be grateful to > have the job. I want to frame the situation so > that it I am the higher value entity and they > should be happy to have me. People naturally want > what is in demand, so you are doing yourself a > favor by playing coy and keeping some distance. > Obviously you don’t want to be so aloof that they > doubt your interest and you knock yourself out of > the running, but don’t give up your power as a > candidate either. Hey man, thanks for this.

… “I think we have a nice fit here. What do you think?” …

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I now have a less orthodox approach that seems to > be working much better. If I think the interview > went well and they are interested, I will ask what > their hiring timeline is and say, “I am curious to > know because I am interested in this offer but am > also moving along with other firms and may have to > make a decision shortly.” This seems to peak the > interest of the hiring team and kick things into > gear. To me, the interview process is similar to > dealing with women – the higher the perception > that other parties are interested in you, the > higher your value. It doesn’t make logical sense > (shouldn’t your value be evaluated independent of > what others think?), but it’s true nonetheless. > > Basically, it comes down to a value proposition. > If you say you are a fast learner, want the job, > etc. it sends the message that they are the higher > value entity and that you should be grateful to > have the job. I want to frame the situation so > that it I am the higher value entity and they > should be happy to have me. People naturally want > what is in demand, so you are doing yourself a > favor by playing coy and keeping some distance. > Obviously you don’t want to be so aloof that they > doubt your interest and you knock yourself out of > the running, but don’t give up your power as a > candidate either. BROMION, THIS IS VERY GOOD. THANKS, YOU ALWAYS HAVE GOOD POSTS, I AM KEEPING MY EYE ON YOU.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > … > > “I think we have a nice fit here. What do you > think?” > > … hmmm, SEEMS AGGRESSIVE. LIKE YOU ARE ASSUMING THE CLOSE. WOULD THIS NOT BE PRETENTIOUS!!! I THINK I WILL GO WITH BROMIONS AND BLEND IT LIKE "I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I REALLY WANT THIS POSITION – ONE QUESTION, WHAT SORT OF HIRING TIMELINES ARE YOU GUYS THINKING…I ASK B/C i AM IN TALK WITH… on the other hand, they can call the bluff and you are done

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > on the other hand, they can call the bluff and you > are done Yes, it definitely helps if you actually are interviewing with other firms! They will usually ask what firms you are interviewing with. I don’t have any problem giving vague references, but I don’t like to name the firms since it’s a relatively small industry and you don’t know who knows whom. Anyway, just to be clear, I wasn’t advocating that you should lie, but if you do have other firms interested in you, definitely use that to your advantage. And if you are getting interviews at one firm, there is a pretty good chance you are a good candidate and can/should be getting interviews elsewhere. Good luck!

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > … > > > > “I think we have a nice fit here. What do you > > think?” > > > > … > > > > hmmm, SEEMS AGGRESSIVE. LIKE YOU ARE ASSUMING THE > CLOSE. WOULD THIS NOT BE PRETENTIOUS!!! I THINK > I WILL GO WITH BROMIONS AND BLEND IT > You have to do what suits your personality. What’s important is that you come across as sincere that you think the interview went well and would like the job. I don’t think my suggestion is aggressive. It depends on your tone of voice and how you deliver it. It does assume that this step of the interview is closed, but it doesn’t assume that they are going to hire you. And of course, if there are any red flags that came up suggesting that it ISN’T a fit, you can’t use it. You say this as you think the interview is winding down and you stop covering new topics relevant to the job. But if you’ve had a pleasant conversation, and you like what you’ve heard, then why not reassure the guy that you feel good about what you’ve talked about. Remember that most of your interviewers aren’t professional interviewers and may be just as nervous about whether they’ve presented their company in a good light and asked questions that make them look smart. You’re letting them know they did a good job, which may make them like you more. And that’s a good thing. They may say they have to interview other people, spontaneously talk about their time line, etc… If they bring up something that concerns them, you actually have another shot at reassuring them. And it doesn’t make you sound desperate, just interested. > > on the other hand, they can call the bluff and you > are done

thanks again i like the “feel good” line and I will probably keep it simple

Daj, your job isn’t in a small New England city is it? Just makin sure it aint mine :slight_smile: