CMT?

I am looking to the next challenge (passed the CFA, FRM and CAIA exams) and am now thinking about the CMT…No, not country music television… but Chartered Market Technician…

It looks like an interesting combination - helps incorporate some of the behavioral aspects of the market - have any of you taken it? If so, what are your thoughts? How long does it take? Can you get it done in three successive sittings?

Did you go with the recommended reading list, or use any study guides?

Thanks !

If you run a search, you will find a few threads about the designation.

Do it if you want to do it for the knowledge. No employer knows about the CMT.

ther’s like 5k people in the world that have it

what exactly are you trying to accomplish by collecting all these certs like baseball cards?

If your line of reasoning is: because eventually someone will give me big bucks. you’ll be sadly disappointed.

Personally I think getting something like the CPA would be more useful. Gives you a trade and barrier of entry to that trade.

That’s sort-of true, but you could make the same point about the CFA, and everything else discussed on AnalystForum. Pursuing the CMT will get ya closer to a good job in finance than Not pursuing anything.

Part of it is the intellectual challenge. The CMT is interesting in that it focuses on technical analysis, which is another piece of the puzzle.

The CPA might be interesting, but as far as I can see you need to have an undergrad degree in accounting - at least in the US…

just take it.whats stopping you?

You missed the bigger point. Taking the CFA because it’s a highly regarded designation is a good idea. But why bother taking all these additional peripheral certs for incremental value, because you can spend all that time doing something that will yield far more value.

Can you give specific examples of these far-more-valuable “something” activities that you recommend to aspiring financial analysts, in place of pursuing designations?

Each state has different requirements. It’s less restrictive in some states (only requiring X amount of accounting hours). Be sure to look at your state’s specific stuff

search the forum. I’m a fan of TA despite most people calling it voodoo. Traditionlal analysis fails the primary test of valuation, an asset is worth only what someone will pay for it. The wisdom of crowds and behavioral finance are subjects that are often overlooked.

There are a lot of things you could do! Like stalking… err, networking with CFA people in the industry you like, exercise or triathlon to become a well rounded and “interesting” applicant, academic degrees with actual recognition, learning to program, etc. If you think CMT material is interesting, then it’s great to learn new things. Just don’t think that “CFA, FRM, CAIA, CMT” is going to get your resume onto the desk of some BSDs.

^ this. Networking will help hone your direction and solidify the career focus your striving for. I’d also add exercising PUA tactics at the local establishments.

Or maybe do some charity work or other extracurricular activity. I think it’s good to meet non-finance people or show different sides to your personality. If you ask me, “I volunteered for two years to help orphans (or something)” is better than having some obscure credential for interview purposes.

Yep, I’m with iteracom and Ohai on this one. Spend your time networking or taking on extra responsibility at work.

Once you a get one or two core designations at work, you’re just working against yourself. People start to think you’re the academic type that never transitioned past college and isn’t effective enough at work to get promotions naturally. This type of person has stunted success at work and tries to compensate the only way they know how, by going back and taking more unrelated tests since that’s what their parents told them was the way to be successful back in school.

If you’re just doing it for education, skip the fees and nonsense and pick up a book on your own.

Aren’t you naysayers reaching forgone conclusions about OPs intentions? He/She was looking for the next CHALLENGE, there was no mention about doing it to add a sequence of letters behind his/her name or the ability of the CMT to further one’s career whatever it may be. If self-education is an end unto itself, then debating the value of the CMT versus the utility that could have been otherwise derived from required (and hence foregone) study time is pointless.

Well… not speaking for everyone, but I was replying to people who were already talking about career goals. Also, if you want to get particular about this… unless the CMT program is super special, it will not be a “challenge” to someone who has already passed CFA, FRM and CAIA. If you passed those other exams, obviously you know how to take tests.

21st dec 2012…please be right Aztecs! :slight_smile:

what is there but here with a ‘t’?

I know a few people with the CMT. I’d say it doesn’t carry as much weight as a CFA or CPA, but I wouldn’t turn up my nose at one. I’ve read parts of the Pring book which is part of the CMT CBOK and it has been good for me.

I would do CMT if I didn’t feel like I was tired of studying for exams. I probably wouldn’t give it the publicity I give my CFA credentials, but I’d be up for the knowledge.