College Debt

I was just wandering if anyone had a lot of college debt. I currently have about 47,000 including my undergrad and grad work. Just an interesting question to compair.

$30,000 from 2 years of private school… The other 3.5 years to get my BS and 2 years to get my MBA were 100% paid for by my current employer!!!

I have none since I went to a crappity state school. That being said I have gotten laughed at and told, “We don’t hire from _____.” I guess pick your poisen; no debt and poor job outlook, or high debt and high job outlook.

KJH I still like to believe in a world in which skills really make a difference. but I fell you pain, I had finished university in Eastern Europe, so I guess you are better off. and a year of post grad financial planning in Canada. but I don’t like debt so for me it’s better like this- university is usually govt funded back home

I do have debt from undergraduate. I’ve left it on my books because I have it consolidated down to 2.5% interest and decided to place my money into other investments which could return higher than 2.5%. I also surprisingly had my student loan interest Subsidized and my payments deferred because I began graduate school (paid for by my employer) and because I’m pursuing a degree program, the Government subsidized my interest once again. Yet another benefit of pursuing higher education.

but how much do you actually owe?

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have none since I went to a crappity state > school. That being said I have gotten laughed at > and told, “We don’t hire from _____.” I guess > pick your poisen; no debt and poor job outlook, or > high debt and high job outlook. I was debt free from my undergrad and then had to take on some loans (about $8,000) for grad school from a “crappity state school”. So now I owe money and get made fun of at interviews :frowning:

-Zero- in my case.

I had around 14K last June, when I graduated, and I’ve somehow managed to bring it down to 1.8K. Can’t wait to pay off the rest of this stupid loan.

I’m paying mine right now, but I also pay quite a bit every month, so it’s gonna be all gone in just over a year. Can’t wait.

TheChad Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------ > > > I was debt free from my undergrad and then had to > take on some loans (about $8,000) for grad school > from a “crappity state school”. So now I owe > money and get made fun of at interviews :frowning: Same story here - only I maxed out my grad loans. Cheapest money you’ll ever find! I plan on paying mine down at the absolute slowest rate possible so I can invest what I COULD be paying on loans in a higher rate yielding asset.

-$$$ for me. Got scholarships and grants from FAFSA

mcthorp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TheChad Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ---- > > > > > > I was debt free from my undergrad and then had > to > > take on some loans (about $8,000) for grad > school > > from a “crappity state school”. So now I owe > > money and get made fun of at interviews :frowning: > > Same story here - only I maxed out my grad loans. > Cheapest money you’ll ever find! I plan on paying > mine down at the absolute slowest rate possible so > I can invest what I COULD be paying on loans in a > higher rate yielding asset. lucky you, I’m paying smth like prime + 300 bps in interest charges. It’s completely ridiculous for a student loan. At least I didnt have that much to start off with.

Zero ~ Yes I know I’m very lucky. Good luck paying off those debts.

I refinanced mine at just over 2% several years ago, so I’m not worried. I just finished my MBA and now I am no longer in deferrment; however, as long as I have an automatic deduction for the minimum payment every month, they knock my interest rate down another 25 basis points–I can’t complain about that!