College Degree

Hi guys, I have one more semester to go before I will have my BS in Finance. CFAI contacted me saying that I will be unable to take level 2 until I have officially obtained my degree. Is there any way around this? Will I have to wait until June 09’ assuming I passed level 1 this past December. Thanks in advanced.

Dude, don’t sweat it. Enjoy your senior spring with the level 1 under your belt (assuming you past). Trust me, you won’t regret it. You have another 50 years to work…don’t waste your free time now. You might disagree but pretty soon, once your working in the real world, you might think differently. If you pass next week - relax and finish the semester, get a good job, take a few months to get situated, and than study for level 2 june 09. I’m in my first year out of college and awaiting results next week as well. Don’t get me wrong, I like what I do and have a pretty good job but man…it would be nice to live through senior year again. goodluck

Everyone’s always in such a hurry…

how did they know you didn’t have your degree? Did you contact them and tell/ask them? I’m just curious if they are auditing/checking up on people. It would be such a tedious and expensive process considering the # of candidates.

Sounds like you’re way ahead of the game. Enjoy the downtime between finishing college exams, being conferred and having to start the study again. Good luck with finals.

To LongonCFA, I believe they would get this information from the profile you fill out when you register, which entails you entering your educational background.

I’m also in the same situation. I was wondering if some provisional certificate would do. But then again, theres no point in thinking about it unless you know for sure you’re goin to pass. One major reason I would wanna write L2 would to be finish it all off fast. Where I am from, in the final year of ones undergraduate study, theres hardly anything to do with very few credits to account for in terms of school subjects, so why not do Level 2…

Why not just hangout with friends and enjoy the free time. You’re probably not going to have it ever again.

I can’t stand it when ppl tell me to slow down. If I had it to do over again, I’d probably have finished off the cfa before having a family. The only truly limited resource is time.

There aren’t many 80-year olds in the world who say things like “If I had to do it over again, I would delay having a family for my CFA” or “I’m glad I never listened to people who told me to slow down and enjoy the journey”. There are lots of them who say things like “I can’t believe I put so much importance on my career that I didn’t pay attention to my family” and “I can’t believe I spent so much time focused ahead that I never noticed all the beautiful things going on around me”. Maybe by the time these people get to be 80, they no longer know what’s really important.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There aren’t many 80-year olds in the world who > say things like “If I had to do it over again, I > would delay having a family for my CFA” or “I’m > glad I never listened to people who told me to > slow down and enjoy the journey”. There are lots > of them who say things like “I can’t believe I put > so much importance on my career that I didn’t pay > attention to my family” and “I can’t believe I > spent so much time focused ahead that I never > noticed all the beautiful things going on around > me”. …however, they are able to do it from a nice house, with nice things in it, with a nice wife, kids that have gone to a nice school, then a nice university etc This may serve to soften the blow. Anyway, i fully intend to have died from overenergetic copulation well before I get to 80.

I’m not just talking about wealthy 80-year olds.

I agree with Joey! We focus on achieving so much that our long-term goals are skewed to successful career and recognition. As a result we sacrifice what’s really important. Laying on a blanket with a kid and looking at the clouds, taking dance lessons with a significant other, getting to know parents as friends …

>I’m not just talking about wealthy 80-year olds. So you’re telling me that getting your CFA designation before you’re 24 doesn’t make you an automatic multi-millionaire in charge of your own hedge fund by the time you’re 35? And to think that’s all I ever wanted…

Kevin, Don’t take your level 2 until '09. Secure a job for after graduation. Go out, get drunk, get laid, have fun. Graduate. Go to beach week.

kant Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Kevin, > > Don’t take your level 2 until '09. Secure a job > for after graduation. Go out, get drunk, get > laid, have fun. Graduate. Go to beach week. Agree!

Thank you for all the kind words. I’m worried it might be difficult securing a job considering the current economic conditions-- the potential market crash of 2008-- we’ll see if we get a recessionary confirmation. I guess I could take some time off to travel (assuming my puts do well tomorrow). Few days remaining before the results come through best of luck to all of you December exam takers.