Columbia the best?

I have a friend that got a job at Mckinsey Asia. He is to graduate next year. I heard many stories of jobless MBAs and Mckinsey reduced recruiting big time. I guess Columbia name really matters.

It is an Ivy League and has better reputation that NYU.

no, HBS or Wharton are the best.

Columbia… for value investors!

cfaboston28 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It is an Ivy League and has better reputation that > NYU. I was talking about NYC. UChicago and Kellogs are good too.

Too many people on this forum think that its the MBA, the CFA, or the 4 masters degrees that will get them them that superstar job. Sure it helps, but its the individual that gets these jobs. None of that paper will ever beat charisma, hard work and that competitive nature. I know of too many History/Geography undergrads that are running s**t.

commstudent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Too many people on this forum think that its the > MBA, the CFA, or the 4 masters degrees that will > get them them that superstar job. Sure it helps, > but its the individual that gets these jobs. None > of that paper will ever beat charisma, hard work > and that competitive nature. I know of too many > History/Geography undergrads that are running > s**t. Good point, but I stand by the argument that if you want to run sh*t, it helps to learn the same material as others in the industry to anticipate their herd mentality. Whoever heard of a fund manager that consistently beat the market by following the crowd? What is the crowd exactly doing? How are they taught to value businesses? These are key questions.

I think its overeall intelligence and motivation. With that said, I fully believe that the CFA or MBA DO really matter in regards to GETTING these interviews. From that point on however, yes, it’s all you. But the two are related: interviewers are likely to view CFAs and MBAs positively as we show that we bothered to get the darn things and worked hard for them. Willy

willyR nailed it. you need the credentials, then the actual skills and ability to close these people on hiring you.

my sis’s ex got cornell undergrad with colombia mba and is toppin 400k with a NYC hedge fund. i keep hopin they rekindle the flames so i can see about riding some coattails, but thats all i know about Colombia. the thing about a school like that is not only is it a great master’s program, but they are tied in fairly well with the local business community. that local business community happens to be the “capital of the world” (according to both Rudy Guiliani and the late Pope John Paul)

Skip , is your sis an Analyst or is she a PM ?

someone told me that pre-mba work experience at mckinsey is most highly recognized by US mba schools. even more than experience with companies like goldman sachs or any other banks. is this true?

MFE22 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have a friend that got a job at Mckinsey Asia. > He is to graduate next year. I heard many stories > of jobless MBAs and Mckinsey reduced recruiting > big time. I guess Columbia name really matters. Based on a samples size of one and an incomplete picture of the data, I don’t know how Columbia could not be the best.