come back...

LSAT is tomorrow… I also have a promising interview Thursday with an asset manager. I’m fairly confident I will get the job if I don’t screw up the interview. And if I get the offer I will probably get back on the CFA bandwagon. I feel like it would be downright irresponsible in this market to turn down an appropriate job offer to go to law school… and equally irresponsible to accept and then take off in 6 months. I might be able to take the job and go to law school at night to keep my long term options open, but this is not guaranteed. I’ve fallen out of love with the industry. AM just doesn’t excite me anymore… Do you think I can pass Level 3 if I start studying this weekend? Is that even possible?

If you don’t go to a top 5 law school that’s a bad idea. Law firms are laying off people and cutting bonuses too right now…Wayyy to many lawyers out there, my brothers are so I have first hand industry knowledge

Don’t call it a come back. :slight_smile: Best of luck on either choice. But if you feel that you have fallen out of love with the industry today do you think after being at the job for a year and being in school for six months the love will be back? I’m not trying to talk you out of it but I think you need to find out where you want to be in five years and plan accordingly now.

CFAdetroit Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you don’t go to a top 5 law school that’s a bad > idea. Law firms are laying off people and cutting > bonuses too right now…Wayyy to many lawyers out > there, my brothers are so I have first hand > industry knowledge My natural skill set is much better suited to law. I’d probably go to a strong regional school like Loyola LA. I am well networked here. Many of my high school friends are second and third year associates in the best firms. I don’t need a top X school. If I go and do well I will have plenty of options.

Law school is not as sexy as it may seem. Its like all the IT folks thinking finance is sexy…grass is always greener. I vote take the new job offer. but that’s just me. best of luck either way.

“If you enjoy what you do, you’ll never work another day in your life.” - Confucius If you don’t enjoy finance anymore, then maybe law is the way for you to go. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The wind is blowing east, Danteshek hates finance. The wind is blowing west, Danteshek loves finance again. The sky is cloudy, Danteshek hates finance. The sky is clear, Danteshek loves finance again.

I’m a big fan of JohnThainsLimoDriver.

JohnThainsLimoDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The wind is blowing east, Danteshek hates finance. > The wind is blowing west, Danteshek loves finance > again. The sky is cloudy, Danteshek hates finance. > The sky is clear, Danteshek loves finance again. For the record, I still hate finance. I’ll let you know if I change my mind.

Danteshek, good to see you have an interview coming up. If will be hard to have a day job, going to law school and study for L3. However, day job + hardcore study on weekend for L3 is doable. Good luck man!!

How about a JD,CFA,MBA combo? That will make you buffett.

sublimity, you’ve shown some good detective footwork in the past, why can’t you figure out who JohnThainsLimoDriver is?

If you hate finance, don’t take the job. DURRRRRR… it’s a no brainer. Have fun as a lawyer.

yeah…the world needs more lawyers…go for it…

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sublimity, you’ve shown some good detective > footwork in the past, why can’t you figure out who > JohnThainsLimoDriver is? That is cause he havent seen the second installment of Pink Panther yet

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sublimity, you’ve shown some good detective > footwork in the past, why can’t you figure out who > JohnThainsLimoDriver is? I have a feeling I know who he is.

CFAdetroit Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you don’t go to a top 5 law school that’s a bad > idea. Law firms are laying off people and cutting > bonuses too right now…Wayyy to many lawyers out > there, my brothers are so I have first hand > industry knowledge Even top 5 is not safe in this market - some biglaw firms have been pushing back start dates for their incoming associate classes. Hows about that for a slap in the face - kill yourself for 3 years, rack up approx. 200-400k in opportunity costs, work your ass off to land a top job and then be told…uhm you cant start until at least 6 months later than we originally told you, maybe longer, good luck with your loans…and if you talk to other firms we will retract our offer completely. btw, night law school is less than worthless if you intend to actually work as a lawyer, unless you are just interested in learning about the law I would strongly recommend you reconsider that option. Going to law school at night is best suited for someone who works in a field that has ties to law, but isn’t directly involved (i.e. a tax accountant or perhaps some sort of policy/political roles might get some value from it). Biglaw does not hire from night programs & being a lawyer only makes sense from a financial perspective if you go the biglaw route.

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sublimity, you’ve shown some good detective > footwork in the past, why can’t you figure out who > JohnThainsLimoDriver is? I am more interested in who squirrel.master is.

I mean, who wouldn’t be interested in a guy who posts such things. Check it. squirrel.master Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I got the goods… > > …||||| > …||oo|| > …|| L || > …- > …| > ----OO---- > …| > …| > …/…\ > …/…\

WIthout a doubt you can pass this thing. I started this exact time last year (week after super bowl) and passed.