Comments on MBA

Hardcore: The Mathematics of Financial Derivatives Fixed Income Financial Modeling (could be hardcore or fluff, really have to review the syllabus) Fluff: Entrepreneurship International Marketing Strategic Management This is not to say that the fluff classes aren’t valuable if that’s your thing, but I suspect most people here aren’t trying to get a job selling potato chips in China.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hardcore: > > The Mathematics of Financial Derivatives > Fixed Income > Financial Modeling (could be hardcore or fluff, > really have to review the syllabus) > > Fluff: > > Entrepreneurship > International Marketing > Strategic Management > > This is not to say that the fluff classes aren’t > valuable if that’s your thing, but I suspect most > people here aren’t trying to get a job selling > potato chips in China. Data has no voice, dude.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hardcore: > > The Mathematics of Financial Derivatives > Fixed Income > Financial Modeling (could be hardcore or fluff, > really have to review the syllabus) > > Fluff: > > Entrepreneurship > International Marketing > Strategic Management > > This is not to say that the fluff classes aren’t > valuable if that’s your thing, but I suspect most > people here aren’t trying to get a job selling > potato chips in China. Thanks. Though I will probably be staying away from your list of hard core classes (with exception of Fixed Income) because of my quantitative background. I don’t want to learn something I can easily learn on my own, I’d rather take classes that I know nothing about. I would probably benefit more from taking an operations management class than financial instruments class. If you were to interview me hypothetically (I’m not looking for a job), what would your thoughts be on my approach?

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >> > > Data has no voice, dude. As I said, the fluff classes are not without value if that’s what is required for your profession. However, if I need someone to carve-out the derivatives from a new mezz issue, Porter’s 5 Forces and some smooth talking aren’t going to help much. On the flipside, if you need someone to open a new market for a product, being able to model exotic derivatives is pretty useless. I do believe this a finance related board though, not a marketing board.

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >> > Thanks. Though I will probably be staying away > from your list of hard core classes (with > exception of Fixed Income) because of my > quantitative background. I don’t want to learn > something I can easily learn on my own, I’d rather > take classes that I know nothing about. I would > probably benefit more from taking an operations > management class than financial instruments class. > If you were to interview me hypothetically (I’m > not looking for a job), what would your thoughts > be on my approach? As someone who is about to get the CFA charter, you’re not the common MBA student, so you’d have a lot more leeway with course selection. In the end, it comes down to demonstrating the ability to do the job. If someone doesn’t otherwise have the creditials to backup their quant skills, they need to establish them with the course work and/or CFA.