Comments on MBA

I was hoping to get a bit of input from other forum members, whether MBA or not. I’m working a back office job at a mutual fund company currently, and am heavily considering going back to school for an MBA. I would be going to the same school as my undergrad, a Top 10 Canadian MBA program (I know, Canadian). Leaning towards the 2 year co-op (rotating between 4 months study, 4 months job placement in various industries) and an 8 month accelerated program. Cost is very similar between the two. I recently sat for Level I and am fairly confident it went well, thanks in part to the forum. I wouldn’t be going to take the MBA until fall 2010, so I could have a good crack at Level II. If all went well, I’d be fairly young with MBA/Level2 and some decent work experience. Just sorta hesitant because a) It’s a large time committment of 2 years, b) fairly expensive, although I could front about half of the bill with savings and the three co-op terms would definitely contribute, and c) Paranoid about the job market just because co-op experience may be frowned upon as opposed to full-time work experience (which I only have 2 years of). I’m pretty focused on finance but not 100% which section I’d be most comfortable in. Just wondering about the experiences of anyone else who took the plunge, and hoping for a bit of advice. I’m assuming I can’t really go THAT wrong getting an MBA but still, quite a bit investment (time and money). Thanks

Search function. I am taking the plunge this fall - class of 2011. I am in a similar situation in terms of the economics of the degree. I have 115K in savings so probably borrow 40K on top of my outstanding balance of 10K from college. Whether or not its worth it for you is dependent on the value of the program, the network, and how it’s perceived by others in your target field. The terrible job market makes going back even more attractive. No one can really answer the question for you - it’s more a function of what you think an MBA will do for your career. For me, it was brand name. I attended a pretty decent college, but nothing that opened doors. I’m a LIII candidate so there is nothing I will learn in terms of finance. Hoping to pick up and sharpen my soft skills, but that’s really just a bonus. I need a break anyway.

for top 10 canadian MBA…probably should do it part time not full time.

If JOE2010 can get one, anyone can get one. : )

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If JOE2010 can get one, anyone can get one. : ) that guy’s gonna rip you apart now. he’s got a short temper that bloke.

sorry but what’s a top 10 Canadian MBA?

Top 10 Canadian MBA are all the Canadian MBA schools in Canada? Actually, I bet Calgary is out of the top 10…

how many mba programs are there in Canada? 10?

billwest Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > how many mba programs are there in Canada? 10? 9

How do you guys amass over 100K in savings??

Stayed at home for a for a bit post-college prior to moving out and got paid decently

I earn decently, nothing major. but would take me 3 to 4 years to save that!!! But I guss if ure an Ibanker you do make the big bucks

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If JOE2010 can get one, anyone can get one. : ) It is actually true any one can get an MBA, including yours truly - it only matters where you get it from.

ValueAddict Wrote: > I’m a LIII candidate so there is > nothing I will learn in terms of finance. You might be pleasantly surprised. Of course CFA program gives familiarity with most topics but you can definitely learn topics of interest in depth at grad school.

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ValueAddict Wrote: > > I’m a LIII candidate so there is > > nothing I will learn in terms of finance. > > You might be pleasantly surprised. Of course CFA > program gives familiarity with most topics but you > can definitely learn topics of interest in depth > at grad school. I second what maratikus said. CFA is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to “true” finance.

sid3699 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > maratikus Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ValueAddict Wrote: > > > I’m a LIII candidate so there is > > > nothing I will learn in terms of finance. > > > > You might be pleasantly surprised. Of course > CFA > > program gives familiarity with most topics but > you > > can definitely learn topics of interest in > depth > > at grad school. > > I second what maratikus said. CFA is just the tip > of the iceberg when it comes to “true” finance. I agree completely. But I am not certain academic finance is true finance either. That was my point. Most of what I know if a result of non-academic finance.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sublimity Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > If JOE2010 can get one, anyone can get one. : > ) > > > that guy’s gonna rip you apart now. he’s got a > short temper that bloke. Nice one, except that you could not be more wrong. Some help coud do - It is not a temper - my torelance for mediocrity is just low. In real life I have a great sense of humor, a balanced ego - and get on very well with people at all levels. There are people I will never bother picking up a fight with, and sublimity is one of them.

ValueAddict Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m a LIII candidate so there is > nothing I will learn in terms of finance. Hoping > to pick up and sharpen my soft skills, but that’s > really just a bonus. I need a break anyway. VA your finance skills are top notch as evidenced by your insights on the L3 board. If you choose to challenge yourself though, there is a ton of finance knowledge to be gained at a good MBA program. CFA barely scratches the service on derivatives and fixed income. Core finance stuff will be a cakewalk though if you’re not permitted to test out of it. The core classes will be a good opportunity to help out some of the more attractive English and History majors in the program :slight_smile: Mildeg, I got my MBA 10 years ago (full-time @ UT-Austin) and have never regretted it for a minute. I’m in consulting and am constantly asked about my background when qualifying myself and my firm for a new engagement and pass the initial screening immediately with a mention of CFA program and UT MBA. That being said, an MBA is really only as good as you make it, regardless of the school. Someone with a business undergrad and half a brain can sleep through even the best B-school if they choose to take the cupcake classes. I’m involved in the hiring decisions at my firm and can tell immediately who is worth talking to and who isn’t just by looking at their B-school transcripts. I’m East Coast, so Penn, Harvard, Fuqua, etc. MBA’s are plentiful, but I’ll take someone from Drexel or Temple who challenged himself with the hardcore finance classes over someone from top 10 who took the fluff classes.

higgmond Wrote: > I’m involved in the hiring decisions at > my firm and can tell immediately who is worth > talking to and who isn’t just by looking at their > B-school transcripts. I’m East Coast, so Penn, > Harvard, Fuqua, etc. MBA’s are plentiful, but I’ll > take someone from Drexel or Temple who challenged > himself with the hardcore finance classes over > someone from top 10 who took the fluff classes. What are hardcore finance classes vs fluff classes? Do you mind elaborating on that?

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > VA your finance skills are top notch as evidenced > by your insights on the L3 board. If you choose > to challenge yourself though, there is a ton of > finance knowledge to be gained at a good MBA > program. CFA barely scratches the service on > derivatives and fixed income. Core finance stuff > will be a cakewalk though if you’re not permitted > to test out of it. The core classes will be a > good opportunity to help out some of the more > attractive English and History majors in the > program :slight_smile: > Appreciate the compliment. The school’s policy is ambiguous on waiving courses. Coincidentally, they allow CPA’s to waive classes, but offer no guidance on CFA charterholders or candidates in the program. They review waivers on a case by case basis, and if deemed “worthy” they let you sit for an exam. I can place out of the core finance class, but not sure whether I can do an instantaneous recall of the nitty gritty LI / LII statistics and accounting rules that are hidden somewhere in my head. What I’m really interested in is a spot managing the fund’s endowment / investment fund.