Commodities Analyst Interview Question

What is a practical and intelligent response to why I want to be involved and work in the commodities sector?? (with energy being most of the focus…) I really want to go into this field but I want to say the right thing to the hiring manager. Please give some feedback! I would really appreciate it.

Write three-pages on why you want to work in commodities then condense it to bullett points then condense it to a nice 20-second sound bite…

“I really want to go into this field” Why do you really want to get into this field? Can’t be completely random.

Hard asset that is a typically a sound hedge for when the dollar goes South. When you include it in a traditional portfolio of stocks and bonds the efficient frontier moves up and to the left. Two major commodity indexes are from GS and DJ-AIG. Important diversification bundle for long term investors. Check out roll yield, spot, future, CPO, CTA, CME, and related terms/articles on investopedia. Good luck, make us proud.

LBriscoe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Write three-pages on why you want to work in > commodities then condense it to bullett points > then condense it to a nice 20-second sound bite… Then condense it further to a superb confidence look and say: “you know why”.

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > LBriscoe Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Write three-pages on why you want to work in > > commodities then condense it to bullett points > > then condense it to a nice 20-second sound > bite… > > Then condense it further to a superb confidence > look and say: “you know why”. Then fist pump like crazy.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Then fist pump like crazy. Lol. Then sing: “what a feeeeling!”

“It’s very important when preparing my career that my type of work not become commoditized. If I’m already working in the commodities sector, I’ll be better prepared.” On a more serious note, you could say something about looking forward and that you think commodities are going to be more important as part of asset allocations in the post-crash era and that you therefore want to be in a sector that has a natural growth potential as 1) commodities demand likely increases because of population, development, etc., and 2) more key players allocate capital to commodity type-funds.

QuantJock_MBA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hard asset that is a typically a sound hedge for > when the dollar goes South. > > When you include it in a traditional portfolio of > stocks and bonds the efficient frontier moves up > and to the left. > > Two major commodity indexes are from GS and > DJ-AIG. > > Important diversification bundle for long term > investors. > > Check out roll yield, spot, future, CPO, CTA, CME, > and related terms/articles on investopedia. > > Good luck, make us proud. Waaaaay to rehearsed. If you sound fake, I’d challenge your stmt and embarrass you, so unless you can speak intelligently to all of the above, dont bring it up. Be honest, say it’s challenging, has far reaching impacts on the global economic environment etc. Keep it general.

what type of role is this? within what kind of firm