comp

what would a salary range be for a Sales & Trading associate position? first yr, MBA. big bank

$75k basic + Bonus

95 + bonus, though think some banks have raised base a bit

What kind of MBA and what kind of trading? It can be anything from what those guys said to maybe $130k + $80k bonus (ballpark range). There are many different kinds of Sales and Trading floors.

I dont get sales and trading, why do these guys need MBAs? Arent they just trying to push ideas that research hav ecome up with, and trading stocks generally base don research info. Or are they very much generating a lot of their own ideas and interpreting this research in some form

Why does anyone need an MBA? Anyway, if you look around, you will see that most traders don’t have MBAs. However, many (if not most) salespeople in S&T do. When you sell financial products, you are selling prestige, so it helps in client-facing roles to have an exclusive professional degree.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What kind of MBA and what kind of trading? It can > be anything from what those guys said to maybe > $130k + $80k bonus (ballpark range). There are > many different kinds of Sales and Trading floors. AF Exaggeration Discount Factors: Salary: 8.6% Bonus: 64.5% $130K —> $118K $80K —> $28K

SMIRK Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I said “up to” those numbers. Most people probably make less, but some definitely make those numbers and more. HBS’s career website has max compensation reported as $150k base + $150k bonus. That’s an outlier, but it does happen.

The University of Georgia reported max compensation of $41 billion base + $37 million bonus last year. That’s an outlier, but it does happen.

Dude, wtf. Why are you still trolling about this?

I know you are but what am I?

SMIRK Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The University of Georgia reported max > compensation of $41 billion base + $37 million > bonus last year. That’s an outlier, but it does > happen. huh?

1st year associate S&T at some shops this year got 125-170 as a full year bonus, verified numbers. and many traders dont have MBAs but plenty have MFE’s and PHD’s, its a very technical job particularly in derivatives.

I’ve never quite understood the “Sales and Trading” roles. It’s generally struck me that the skills that go into sales are different than the skills that go into trading. But maybe I don’t understand what S&T is actually transacting. I haven’t paid attention to S&T type stuff because I don’t particularly have the personality to do the S bit the way I imagine a firm would want me to do it.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve never quite understood the “Sales and > Trading” roles. It’s generally struck me that the > skills that go into sales are different than the > skills that go into trading. But maybe I don’t > understand what S&T is actually transacting. I > haven’t paid attention to S&T type stuff because I > don’t particularly have the personality to do the > S bit the way I imagine a firm would want me to do > it. Sales is a very different role than trader in S&T.

“I don’t understand what S&T is actually transacting” Everything that trades OTC - CDS, equity, bonds, equity swaps, options, convertible bonds, and whatever else you can think of. Someone needs to originate these and get people to buy them.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve never quite understood the “Sales and > Trading” roles. It’s generally struck me that the > skills that go into sales are different than the > skills that go into trading. But maybe I don’t > understand what S&T is actually transacting. I > haven’t paid attention to S&T type stuff because I > don’t particularly have the personality to do the > S bit the way I imagine a firm would want me to do > it. They both sit on the same floor. Sales people source the orders and send it to the traders to work. Sales = hot chicks. Traders = fat slobs. I was an anomaly in that I was neither a chick nor fat, which is probably why I’m not a trader anymore.

lol, barely any female sales in my area and they certainly arent hot chicks. will also mention the traders arent fat slobs either… SMIRK arent you a TA? why would you move from trading to being a TA

jax26 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > they certainly arent hot chicks. Remind me not to transact any business with your sales desk.

So the idea is that S&T is a division, rather than a role. Sales folk get people to buy mostly derivative or portfolio (ETF) type products, and the traders spend their time delta-hedging them (or whatever equivalent hedging mechanism is required). Is that right?