Companies in Boston/Providence

I have an undergrad student who recently passed L1 in June. He’s a pretty good student - 3.5 GPA, and 2 semesters’ experience as a student manager of my school’s student-managed investment fund. He should do pretty well in interviews - he’s smart, somewhat yuppie looking, and has very good interpersonal skills. He’s hoping to get an entry level analyst assistant position in the Boston area (yes, I know, it’s a tough market, etc…). I realize there are quite a few Boston-area folks on AF that work in the industry at all levels. Anyone have any suggestions as to which companies to send his resume out to? He’ll probably end killing several trees with the paper he’ll sling around before he’s done, but any suggestions are gratefully accepted.

http://www.bsas.org/BSAS_Career_Resources/CR02-01.asp Check that out to begin.

state street hies locals out of undergrad…

STT, Wellington, Fidelity/FMR prob are the 3 biggest sell side shops. If your guy has no ins there, he might be best served working with a recruiter trying to get in? Michael Page, Fanning, etc… there are lots of them around Boston and might be a better route into the bigger shops these days. This is a tough town getting into buy side firms, HF’s and Private Equity- there are a lot of firms, but when you have a built-in network of Harvard and MIT kids at your fingertips, unless you have one of those 2 schools next to your name and a great GPA also, it’s a tough town b/c there’s so many smart people around that look good on paper. STT like Daj said is prob the easiest to get your foot in the door… sheer size and seems like they are hiring always at all levels. E-financial careers dot com is pretty good w/ boston job listings and if a resume is posted there, recruiters prob would call your guy pretty quickly also. Good luck to him!

winter wyman is a good recruiting firm for investment jobs in boston. they have good access to FMR/Wellington/STT, as well as small shops.

There are a lot of great options in Boston: Fidelity Putnam MFS Columbia Wellington Pioneer State Street I’m probably forgetting some…

bannisja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This is a tough town getting > into buy side firms, HF’s and Private Equity- > there are a lot of firms, but when you have a > built-in network of Harvard and MIT kids at your > fingertips, unless you have one of those 2 schools > next to your name and a great GPA also, it’s a > tough town b/c there’s so many smart people around > that look good on paper. AGREE!!! STT like Daj said is > prob the easiest to get your foot in the door… > sheer size and seems like they are hiring always > at all levels. E-financial careers dot com is > pretty good w/ boston job listings and if a resume > is posted there, recruiters prob would call your > guy pretty quickly also. AGREE ALSO!!! efin careers is pretty decent.

pyramis, fidelity investments institutional arm is seperating from fidelity and are setting up shop in Smithfield, RI. I know they are hiring internal people first but eventually they will look to add from outside the company.

Eaton Vance is Boston too

also Mellon (although i guess now it’s Mellon Bank of New York, or something like that)

There is also HMC. might land a BO position, but doubt an undergrand will be able to land much else (agree w/ ya bannisja). Don’t know much about it, but there is MITIMCo too.

also, the boston company – i think they got bought out right!!! good call on eaton vance. they are right down the street from welly @ 75 st street

He already landed an interview at Mellon. I’ll show my ignorance - what’re “HMC” and “MITIMCo” ? Also, has anyone had any luck with John Hancock? I have a connection there that might get him an interview.

Harvard and MIT’s endowments. These have small headcounts and would probably be tough to get in at the entry level. John Hancock is part of ManuLife and they are generally cutting heads the last I checked. There is also a fairly big Bank of America and UBS operation here.