Company Recruiters

So I applied at for a position at a respected firm—got an invitation for an initial phone interview by a recruiter, who set up an appointment with another recruiter for the interview. The second interview (surprisingly sounded like early 20s) seemed really unprepared. It basically went: Recruiter: So tell me about yourself… Me: College internships (Top school),blah blah, current experience, accomplishments, completing MBA a top program…blah blah. (sounded really interested in the company and the position) Recruiter: Cool, impressive. Do you have any questions? Me: Asked a couple questions about the position and about the company. Recruiter: Great, you should hear back from me in a few days. And sent a thank you email. ****1 week went by-- emailed the first recruiter (now on my LinkedIn network) to follow up. Got an email back and did not get the job… Shocked! A month has pasted, now a position has opened at the company that I feel I would be a great candidate for–so I emailed the first recruiter and inquired about the position. No response? Is there an unspoken rule, once you get an interview and don’t get the job, you won’t be considered for another position at that company??? What kind of burns me is that I have a great profile, and I feel that these recruiters are not doing their job. Frankly, the first recruiter seemed like a knuckle head. I would really like an opportunity for serious interview. What should I do?

Mason88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Is there an unspoken rule, once you get an > interview and don’t get the job, you won’t be > considered for another position at that > company??? > From my experience, yes.

Is there a grace period you can re-apply?

Try to sidestep recruiters as much as possible. You want to make contacts with the firm’s financial professionals.

Mason88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is there a grace period you can re-apply? When there is turnover in the HR department.

Agreed that recruiters are absolutely useless in this environent for 90% of the finance population.

So how do you side step a company recruiter? When you apply and they contact you for a interview, what are your options?

Screwed on this one. Unless a partner steps in you’re in the discard pile.

I don’t think it could hurt you to try to bypass HR here. Try to find out the manager’s name you’d be working under for this 2nd job and email them. Or the department head might actually be better. A compelling email could land you an interview here. Say something like you think you are perfect for this job, are ambitious, hard-working etc and would very much like to meet him/her at a time of their convenience to discuss the opportunity. You can phrase it however you want. If they are looking to fill a position and you genuinely have the skills and experience to fill it, I think they would look favourably on your enterprise and determination in going directly to source.