Congratulations to everyone who passed level III and has kids

I have made it through two levels so far with two kids. Just like working full time during school, it just made me more efficient with my study time. No time to waste! My wife and I have agreed that #3 (kid, not test) can’t happen until after June 2011!

Agree! Kudos to all that passed with kids: you guys are an inspiration.

I think I will win this one hands down. Dec 2006 - Level I - wife and I battled postnatal depression with 6 month old (first child), working in front desk investment banking job. June 2009 - Level II - lost job due to GFC, wife had postpartum bipolar disorder after 2nd child. I was diagnosed with severe depression and went for extensive therapy. June 2010 - Level III - new business analyst job, wife hospitalised 3 months out of previous 12 months for ECT, I am still battling depression with 2 kids. Passed 3 of 3 exams the first time. True story.

Have a boy who will be age 2 next month. Cannot be happier that finally able to spend the entire weekend with him and my wife. I am ready to plan a memorial long weekend trip next yr!! Began taking L1 in Dec 07. My wife was pregnant a month after. Failed L3 once in Jun09–it was more painful to receive the bad news while you have a family. Through it all, my wife had given me full support. My son had been good to me as well–he started to sleep through the entire nite (7/8 hr sleep straight!) since 5 weeks old without us even training him.

I think I may be the winner. I have 5 kids - triplets aged 7 and twins aged 4 - all boys. My wife was much happier than I was to see me pass Level 3 last year. This was my fifth year taking this hellish exam. I started taking the exam in December 2005. Passed Level 1 then failed Level 2 in June. Passed Level 2 on the second attempt. Then passed Level 3 on my third attempt. Last year I was so confident that I passed - but I was in band 8. But I finally get my springs back! When I came home from work on Monday night, my kids jumped out from behind the couch and yelled “Congratulations, Daddy!” Everyone is excited to see me pass and know that I will not have to spend so much time studying. This exam is not family friendly when you work in the finance and accounting industry on top of it. Glad it’s finally over with!

I always thought it happened only with me… here is my story June 2008 - Level I - I was relocating from India to US. Till early I was not sure if I would be able to appear for the exam as my center was in US. June 2009 - Level II - My wife was expecting (6th month at the time of exam) and frequency of clashes was increasing as exam date was coming close… I still can not forget the mood swings (both mine and my wife’s)… There were medical explanations for my wife’s mood swings but no written justification for mine… June 2010 - Level III - A toddler and relocation from West coast to the East coast in April was more than what I wanted along with this exam… But luckily, i passed all in one shot! And as everyone said, my wife was happier when we heard this news. And I also feel that a bigger share of the credit goes to her… Though she will never see this post, I want to thank her in front of all you who can relate with my ‘mood swings’…

Having kids, a wife, and studying for the CFA makes me constantly realize how much freaking time I had on my hands in my twenties, even when working killer hours. If only I knew then what I know now I would have done this thing ten years ago!

ATH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Having kids, a wife, and studying for the CFA > makes me constantly realize how much freaking time > I had on my hands in my twenties, even when > working killer hours. Totally agree when I look it back.