Congratulations to everyone who passed level III and has kids

Congratulations to everyone who passed level III and has kids. That to me is more of an achievement than passing all 3 consecutively without failing.

i have 2, so thank you

2 for me as well…Thanks for kind words. My wife may be happier than I am. She cried when I told her I passed. I started in 2003 and had a couple of road bumps where life happens that kept me from putting required time for L II and L III.

I probably got you all beat - I have four kids, including one that was born two weeks before Level 3. Still passed :slight_smile:

started in dec 04 right after my second daughter wass born… she just turned 6 last week… no more forced naps on the weekends, reading after 9pm every night and studying at lunch every day…

hats off to you all. this beast is hard enough with the pressures of working full time, but to do it with kids is very commendable. my family was ecstatic when i told them i passed, i can only imagine how happy yours are to have you back!

Agree whole-heartedly… My little guy sounded even happier than I was when he heard the news. It is a real struggle putting together a job with stupid hours, ailing parents and a family of your own and feeling like you are giving appropriate attention to everything.

My 8-year-old son knows more about what the CFA program is than 99% of the people out there, and says he wants to be a financial analyst when he grows up. How sweet!

monger187 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My 8-year-old son knows more about what the CFA > program is than 99% of the people out there, and > says he wants to be a financial analyst when he > grows up. How sweet! thats funny. mine too. 12yr old and 10 yr old. i think my kids were happier than me. Was trying to just be modest about it but they were more jumping for joy. guess they’ll have their dad for memorial day weekends again and plus he won’t be as grumpy in the spring/early summer…

i think its great that you have kids that age who understand you’re studying. i’m sure it has set a great example and enforced the importance of education to them.

i was not 3 for 3. passed I, failed II, passed II, failed III, passed III. Athough i have a front office job in financial industry the cfa will do me no good for my current job. I learned alot about equities and derivatives which was great but my #1 reason for continuing after the 2 times i failed was that my kids could see the value in not giving up and trying to attain the goal even after failure.

I can honestly say that yesterday was the third happiest day of my life, following my son’s birth day and the day of my wedding (#s 1 and 2, respectively). Thanks for the props.

sct123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i was not 3 for 3. passed I, failed II, passed > II, failed III, passed III. Athough i have a > front office job in financial industry the cfa > will do me no good for my current job. I learned > alot about equities and derivatives which was > great but my #1 reason for continuing after the 2 > times i failed was that my kids could see the > value in not giving up and trying to attain the > goal even after failure. Very well stated, and a big part of why I personally kept at it. I am “4 for 3” I guess and just as you state, I think my 9 year-old son seeing daddy fail an exam but not giving up is a lesson he will internalize. However, everyone’s situation is different and I can understand those that might feel the toll on their family is too high.

amjf088 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sct123 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > i was not 3 for 3. passed I, failed II, passed > > II, failed III, passed III. Athough i have a > > front office job in financial industry the cfa > > will do me no good for my current job. I > learned > > alot about equities and derivatives which was > > great but my #1 reason for continuing after the > 2 > > times i failed was that my kids could see the > > value in not giving up and trying to attain the > > goal even after failure. > > Very well stated, and a big part of why I > personally kept at it. I am “4 for 3” I guess and > just as you state, I think my 9 year-old son > seeing daddy fail an exam but not giving up is a > lesson he will internalize. > > However, everyone’s situation is different and I > can understand those that might feel the toll on > their family is too high. absolutely. i could imagine it being that much tougher with younger kids or an infant. much more work would’ve been put on my wifes shoulders and i might not have been able to devote as much time to cfa.

My son (in 1st grade) was very happy when I told him the news and thanked him for the support. He is so happy that now I can be unconditionally (well, based on his understanding) available to have fun with him. Working a demanding full time job, running schedules of skating lessons, music lessons for the little one, and doing the CFA is very tough. To top it, my husband was working on the west coast while we are on the east coast during the time I prepared for my CFA. I am thankful that my husband got relocation to the east coast this June, and I am finally done with the CFA study. The fact that every minute that I put into CFA study is at the expense of family time made me more efficient and driven. It helped me to stay focused at difficult times.

Wow! I can’t help admiring people who have kids worked hard to get through the three levels. I don’t have kids but can imagine how hard it must have been for you guys to allocate your time between CFA and kids. I feel myself very lucky to have a husband who supports me for anything I do. To get through three levels is a great achievement. Enjoy it!

Thanks for the kind words - I have a 3 year old daughter and certainly missed spending time with her for Levels 2 and 3… She was the first one to congratulate me on passing, though I doubt she even knows what it means (she was coached by her mother)…

I think I win. 3 kids plus a heart attack in January to throw a nice kink into studying. I still passed.

^ Winner for sure! Here’s to good health going forward!

Wow, kudos to you all. Definitely makes me realize that I had it “easy”, with no kids plus a supportive husband. Studying for the past 2 years definitely made the decision to NOT have kids yet easier. I knew that variable would make it even more difficult. I guess I can’t use the CFA excuse anymore when my in-laws start hounding me about why I’m not pregnant! I’ll have to come up with something else…