Congressman Rangel to be censured

I keep reading about how “extreme” this punishment is, but what does this actually do? Anyone?

hey that’s just like the CFAI punishments: Public censure and private censure Yea i never figured out what they are either. Anyone?

never mind, i found it 1. Private Censure - The member is promptly notified and a public announcement of the censure is made in a CFA-Institute-issued publication circulated to members. However, the member’s name and any specific identifying information are withheld from the announcement. 2. Public Censure - A public announcement may be made in a CFA-Institute-issued publication, and the announcement may identify the person being sanctioned. Notice of a public censure may also be delivered to the member’s governing regulatory body and member society.

Congressional censure is a joke. Still gets his salary, benefits, pension, etc. I think he loses a bit of seniority is all.

Yeah, as I understand, he has to stand up and be admonished, and he can’t chair certain committees. But I mean, this guy evaded taxes and misused millions of dollars. That doesn’t seem like a very strict punishment. Maybe for politicians this is a big deal.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah, as I understand, he has to stand up and be > admonished, and he can’t chair certain committees. > But I mean, this guy evaded taxes and misused > millions of dollars. That doesn’t seem like a very > strict punishment. Maybe for politicians this is a > big deal. It is a big deal for politicians, but a positive big deal. All the other career criminals (I mean career politicians) are in his office right now slapping him on the back and laughing about his big punishment. They’re probably asking for tips on how they can be just like him. If this doesn’t demonstrate the need for congressional term limits, I don’t know what does.

I thought tax evasion was a criminal act and could/should lead to jail time, no?

Sorry, I used that term pretty loosely. He did not report income that he received on rental properties and therefore, did not pay tax on that income. I don’t really know how this compares to tax evasion that is criminally punishable.

Whatever the technical term, I’m thinking that if one of us failed to report income, there would be much more severe punishment handed down.

The funny thing is, he will still end up being re-elected.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The funny thing is, he will still end up being > re-elected. He just was re-elected, with 80% of the vote. This ethics thing has been going on for 2 years and he gets re-elected by that type of margin. Sometimes it is very difficult to maintain my faith in my fellow Americans.