Conspiracy of Fools

This book is huge! It is due back to the library in 10 days. Is it a quick read?

No. I listened to the unabridged version on tape and as I recall it was a 30 hour program. Well worth it though.

DoubleDip Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No. I listened to the unabridged version on tape > and as I recall it was a 30 hour program. Well > worth it though. +1 for that. I plowed through it and loved it. If only it were fiction.

Good enough to get for a long drive?

I read this book in a short amount of time, I found myself unable to put it down.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Good enough to get for a long drive? Yup! You’ll thank me later. It’s like a story format.

I thought that “The Smartest Guys in the Room” was the better of these two books (which is why I read it). Anyone read both and care to offer an opinion?

Yes, I have listened to both audio books (and also saw the movie, available free online http://www.conspiracydocumentary.com/watch/enron-the-smartest-guys-in-the-room) and they are both great, and great for a long drive. The Smartest Guys in the Room exposes more detail regarding the trading strategies and Conspiracy of Fools goes more into the accounting manipulations so no need to choose, get both. I took them on a drive once from NY to upstate Michigan … dmn it! now I have to watch it again! :slight_smile:

havent read that, but “When Genius Failed” is an awesome read. Easy story line, not too dry, and great info

^Thanks for the insight DD, I’m going to have to get this now, and the watch the movie again too. Skipe, WGF is a classic, anyone who hasn’t read should stop everything and read it immediately.

adavydov7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Skipe, WGF is a classic, anyone who hasn’t read > should stop everything and read it immediately. I read “Inventing Money” which is about LTCM. Has anyone read both? From Amazon: I work in risk managemant and therefore have a vested interest in understanding what happened in LTCM. I have just finished reading R. Lowensteins’ When Genius failed and in comparsion to Inventing money I’d say that its like comparing apples to oranges! Inventing Money is simply amazing - in my opinion if you want a racy book with only sketckes of what went wrong at LTCM, then read When Genius failed. If you want detailed analysis of trades and the reasons why they went wrong read Inventing Money. My one gripe with this book was that it ended. It was like reviewing the basic principles of finance all over again. Extremely readable!

interesting review Quant. I might have to check that out. Right now I am in a Junior Equity Analyst program at work and they got me reading “Expectations Investing.” Which is OK. I may check out that one after I am done.

Good tip, thanks Quant.