Continuing Education

What do you do to meet the 20 hour annual requirement? Is there actually a definition anywhere, does reading AF posts count?

Not a requirement. Reality is most don’t do it.

Continuing Ed was shot down by CFA charterholders in a vote back in 2002 or 2003. I don’t remember when, but obviously CFAI wanted it to happen. The vote was pretty skewed if I recall correctly - something like 66% voting no.

When I renewed my membership (recently) I was asked to confirm I had done 20 hours of continuing education. Did I misread this, or is it a new requirement?

I think it’s still optional, but I decided to do it this year anyway. Readings from the FAJ and the Conference Proceedings issues should be sufficient for the credit, and I think it’s a good idea to keep tabs on the more academic side of finance.

In addition to the above mentioned CE sources, I get CE from attending CFA society events, so I get an occasional credit from going to my societies luncheons and also listening to Morgan Stanley webinars. I got 20 CE credits from my participation in the CFA exams, I’ve considered re-enrolling in the level 1 exam to knock off my 20 hours in one fell swoop, but that’s probably missing the point of the CE exercise.

TheBigBean Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When I renewed my membership (recently) I was > asked to confirm I had done 20 hours of continuing > education. Did I misread this, or is it a new > requirement? They added this question last year, implying that if you didn’t say yes your membership wouldn’t be renewed. If you did answer yes they sent you an email congratulating you on signing up for the voluntary CE program. It is not required – for some reason CFAI leadership has been ramming this down everyone’s throats even though membership soundly rejected it as a waste of time (“it” being the formal record keeping vs. the actual continuous learning most of us do anyway).

I have to say that I was surprised that there isn’t a CE requirement. I would think it’s kind of a no-brainer that a designation such as this would require it.

It should be required; I can’t stand lazy Charterholders who want to coast on some dusty piece of paper…

does the CQF have one, keys? i’m just wonderin’

No; what the CQF does have is constant new material uploaded from diverse subjects of Financial Economics, behavioral finance, and C++ implementation challenges. Kinda apples and oranges as CQF does not hold itself out as a industry standard qualification whereas the CFA Institute is trying to hold itself as a profession requirement akin to Actuaries, CPA/CAs, etc…

what do you mean “constant new material uploaded from diverse subjects”? is this any different than the constant new material from diverse subjects incorporated in the updated CFA curriculum every year and if yes, how? CQF does not hold itself out as an industry standard in quant finance (although i’m sure it would like to very much) simply because it’s newer, far less popular and widespread, considerably more expensive. yeah, apples to apples

Keys, you sound like you are marketing the CQF… I just renewed my membership & posted off the expense form today - also had a nice $500 meal with a couple bottles of $80 wine to reclaim off my personal credit card…nice to tie it in with the CEE EFF AY for my boss who wasn’t at the meal :wink: The 20 hours is new. It’s BS. I don’t have a local chapter, so I can’t even attend. I read wayyyy more than 20hrs just by getting their daily NewsBrief email… I ticked the box. Yawn.

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what do you mean “constant new material uploaded > from diverse subjects”? is this any different than > the constant new material from diverse subjects > incorporated in the updated CFA curriculum every > year and if yes, how? > > CQF does not hold itself out as an industry > standard in quant finance (although i’m sure it > would like to very much) simply because it’s > newer, far less popular and widespread, > considerably more expensive. yeah, apples to > apples The majority of extra reading I see from the FAJ or other analyst journals are some fund managers harping about how asset class X beats Y and Z --> oh, btw they manage a fund of X… = marketing material… In the CQF the focus is on implementation and actually learning useful things such as coding up barrier options in C++, how to use the standard library, how to implement and analyze time series data…etc… CQF may become quite common but it doesn’t have a fiduciary code of practice and ethics to lay on the foundation; there aren’t annual inquisitions to ascertain if you followed such practices. The bottom line is, for a designation trying to compete with the prestige of CA/CPA and other licenses (Law?) then to not have mandatory CE is a sham.