Corp Gov

The corporate governance reading (Reading 34) is the worst reading thus far. It actually is horrible. What are they even talking about in this? In every level thus far we have had a corp gov reading and the level 3 reading is terrible. What about the 10 page rant on lbo and junk bonds and takeover defense mechanisms. Sorry for the rant but I just tried reading it and I am in a bad mood now. Does anyone else agree w/ me?

It’s definitely not on the list of my favorite readings.

This reading could be a 10 pages and 15 at best. I do not know what they are looking for in this long reading. But try to keep as much as you could because given the current financial market condition, it might warrant some questions. I hate it too and I am supposed to start it today but I will skip it for the alternative investment and get back to it later. That one and reading 20 are the worst thus far. YOu just give areason to push it back futher in my pipeline.

nikko0355 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The corporate governance reading (Reading 34) is > the worst reading thus far. It actually is > horrible. What are they even talking about in > this? In every level thus far we have had a corp > gov reading and the level 3 reading is terrible. > What about the 10 page rant on lbo and junk bonds > and takeover defense mechanisms. Sorry for the > rant but I just tried reading it and I am in a bad > mood now. Does anyone else agree w/ me? I agree - I just spent several hours reading through this and I have no idea what I just read. I hope the Schweser notes are much better, because if I had to recall any of this, I would be in trouble. This section seems so poorly written or something…Some of it is material I’m familiar with, however, the way it was written made it confusing.

Although some parts of that reading are pretty bad - when they go into great detail on the differences between countries (did that section even have a point) - it’s definitely easier conceptually than many of the other readings in the CBOK. I think this is a gimme comparatively. I am about to finish up this bad boy today. CFA tries to include made up academic words for simple everyday phrases. Example in point “Ad valorem fees”." Last time I checked its called management fees (not even assets under management fees - straight up management fees). I get this vision of a giant circle-jerk when the CFA puts together the CBOK. “Wow did you really just create a new word that no one would be caught dead saying in public to describe a bond default…omg so h*rny right now.” They probably award extra points if the author forces the candidate to google word definitions.

When I read this reading I wanted to quit the CFA, leave the finance field althogether and become a farmer.

Smarshy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When I read this reading I wanted to quit the CFA, > leave the finance field althogether and become a > farmer. We might all get this soon enough, Smashy.

You know, what I have seen the corporate gov. reading and decided i wont read it in the CFAI texts. 2 weeks to the exam, I’ll memorize it from Schweser. That what I did for the level 2 exam and I aced the questions on it.

it is basically the same concepts as the first two levels, with that new stakeholder/shareholder , and those two reports , but it might as welll be written in another language

Smarshy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When I read this reading I wanted to quit the CFA, > leave the finance field althogether and become a > farmer. I agree. Not to mention that being a farmer is a more stable job and probably pays better in this current environment.

Smarshy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When I read this reading I wanted to quit the CFA, > leave the finance field althogether and become a > farmer. You can come and work on my beet farm.