Corporate Finance to Asset Management

Hi everyone, I’m a level III candidate and I graduated from a target school (didn’t participate in the banking program) with a finance degree about 5 years ago. I worked at a financial technology firm out of school with a fixed income focus for a few years before transitioning to corporate finance. I thought it would be helpful to get some corporate experience, so I did a year in FP&A and then transitioned to treasury.

My long term goal is to work in institutional asset management as a portfolio manager and I’ve read on this forum and elsewhere that I should be looking for research roles to get into the industry. The problem is, most roles that I’ve seen are looking for candidates who already have multiple years of research experience. I’m beginning to think that I need to start from the beginning and grind through a few years of banking. Or is there a type of non-entry-level role that will fit with my corporate finance, fixed income, and CFA experience?

Your best bet is covering the sector you’ve worked in. I don’t know if you are going to be able to skip the entry level stuff, since you have no track record

Good going. I also recommended you to start grasping the skills about cash flow management, it is very prevalent and in demand now a days. Each and every organization is in the dire need of guy who is an expert in cash flow management whether it’s banking and any other corporate sector.