Couple career/MBA questions...

Background: Started off college with a poor start. Eventually graduated with a liberal arts degree (from a major university in Arizona) and around a 2.5 GPA. Over the last two years, I have gotten my act together. I started taking part-time evening courses to finish up a second bachelors degree in business from a small local college. GPA there is currently 3.8 and I have passed the Level I exam. About 6 months ago I also managed to wiggle my way into a corporate finance position doing forecasting and budgeting work along with some analysis of vendor financial. Unfortunately, this position doesn’t qualify for CFA experience. I plan on seriously kicking up the job search for a position that will provide me with CFA experience after I take Level II. I will also have the magic one year of finance related experience at this time and prefer stay in the Midwest (most of my family lives in Minnesota and the wife’s family is in Missouri, I’m in Wisconsin). I am looking primarily at Chicago but not averse to moving outside of the Midwest if the opportunity presents itself. So 2 Questions: 1) As I will be completing my second undergrad degree next April, do I stand a chance with the undergraduate hiring programs? Or am I an experienced hire? Are there advantages/disadvantages to either path? Or should I apply to both doors? Am I too old (26) for these programs? Ideally, I would like to do fixed income analysis. I’m shooting for a credit analyst or a treasury position to get my feet wet and then move on to a research analyst role. From a networking standpoint, I do have a couple ins with some large bulge firms and a couple boutiques. 2) From an MBA standpoint, if all goes according to plan, I will have 31 hours of stellar grades. Additionally, I have a fairly good community involvement record and sit on the Board of Directors for one charity. GMAT is 690 but I bet with a little more work I can break 700. What are my chances for admission to a decent school? I’m not looking for GBS or Tuck but something in the top 30 would be nice. I know wanting to stay in the Midwest near a metro area kind of limits things. I’m currently looking at DePaul, Indiana, Michigan. If any has any thoughts on my admissionability and on what schools I should target in the future, I would appreciate it.

The obvious question is why you are doing a second undergraduate degree… Maybe take a look at the ASAP at U Wisconsin…

A few thoughts from me: 1) having 2 UG doesn’t prove anything. you can try and get in via the UG hiring programs though. 2) you’re not an experienced hire b/c you have no experience in “IB” type CF 3) just get in, no real adv/disadv 4) you’re not to old 5) a treasury position may be easier to get 6) use your network, see if you can get into a boutique 7) mba - depends on your work exp and essays, gmat is good but UG is weak (they look at both UG) 8) something in the top 30 is doable i think 9) get some good work exp and i think you’ll be ok GL

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The obvious question is why you are doing a second > undergraduate degree… > > Maybe take a look at the ASAP at U Wisconsin… Thanks for the reply. Two primary reasons: 1. To help recover GPA for MBA admissions 2. Having a dual undergrad, business and sociology looks better than just sociology degree. Additionally, many of the business courses (accounting, econ, finance) really helped in prepping for the CFA exam. Any particular reasons for Wisconsin? Thanks again. I know these threads get old and pointless but I do appreciate the advice.

recycler Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Danteshek Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > The obvious question is why you are doing a > second > > undergraduate degree… > > > > Maybe take a look at the ASAP at U Wisconsin… > > Thanks for the reply. > > Two primary reasons: > > 1. To help recover GPA for MBA admissions > 2. Having a dual undergrad, business and sociology > looks better than just sociology degree. > Additionally, many of the business courses > (accounting, econ, finance) really helped in > prepping for the CFA exam. > > Any particular reasons for Wisconsin? > > Thanks again. I know these threads get old and > pointless but I do appreciate the advice. I still don’t see the point of you doing a whole new UG degree. You should just take 6-8 classes in the relevant subjects and do well in those. Many people will look askance at a second UG degree, both in adcoms and in the real world. Well the Applied Security Analysis Program at Wisconsin would do the trick for you if you are looking to get into investment analysis. Coming out of that program you wouldn’t really have access to the best jobs in NY or Chi, but you would definitely be able to get an investment job with a smaller firm or public fund, especially in the midwest. Just a thought.

It was only 45 credit hours since I had a prior degree. And future employers can either view it in a negative light or say “hey, this guy messed up in the past and now he’s trying to get his shit right.” Either way, I’ve only got 9 more credits to get through it. It is pretty much said and done with. edit: or am I wrong on this? Will it be viewed in a negative light only?

You are probably ok. Just don’t make a big deal about having 2 UG degrees. When people ask where you went to college, only say ASU or wherever you went. If they dig deeper tell them about your alternative transcript. Volunteering that you have 2 UG degrees does not put you in the best light.

Any other MBAs I should consider? The Wisconsin program seems more of a two year CFA prep program than a MBA.