courtesy?

So I interviewed a few weeks ago at this well established money manager and thought I nailed it. Sent a few follow-up thank you emails (albeit just recently) and haven’t gotten a reply. Is it too much to expect a reply back? If they want to pass shouldn’t they just come out and say, or does not replying say it? any thoughts?

They need to tell you something - they are probably still considering it. Sometimes this happens for reasons like convincing the boss to pay up even though they think they have the right candidate. Tough as it is, you should just sit back for awhile longer…

Thanks Joey. It is tough, especially the constant checking of my email for a reply. It’s not that I need to go elsewhere, but it’s nice knowing that if I wanted to I could.

Well similar thing happened to me a while back: When I finally got a reply was 7 weeks later in the mail. A letter saying “they are sorry and they have gone with another candidate ……bla bla bla….they will keep my resume on file”. This is after the hiring manager telling me (in third interview), he thinks I have the best chance out of all candidates they have interviewed and he really likes me. Etc…… Almost seems like a lot of big shots get enjoyment of pumping you up and getting you excited only to let you down…

“Sent a few follow-up thank you emails” I would have gone with one e-mail and a call, not a few e-mails. Always better to get someone live.

^ agreed

One to HR, and the other to the hiring manager. maybe I shouldn’t have waited 10 days, but at the end of the day that probably doesn’t matter. I was reluctant to even send a thank you in the first place because it’s kind of trite.

When I was looking for Wholesalers we interviewed SEVERAL people that we didn’t get back to. We’re a small firm and - although this sounds silly - we just honestly and truly didn’t have time to call some of these people back. Simple as that: small firm = no time since resources are slim. Willy

Oh come on Willy, think about how that sounds. You are telling me you couldn’t stay an extra few minutes every day for a week and make a couple of phone calls? It is just a matter of common courtesy. Every candidate deserves at least a “No” response. You don’t have to spend an hour telling them why they didn’t get it. Just a simple, “I am sorry but we decided to go in a different direction” will do.

maybe not a phone call but I certainly deserve a NO (or sorry you suck!) e-mail. Anyways I just had a first round interview for an trading position. the interview was tough i’d say, but I can easily say that it was my best performance(i shocked myself)…thank you e-mail sent. and…it’s been more than a week and haven’t heard from them since then. the thing is they contacted another guy for the summer internship. we had the interviews same day. I think it’s enough wait and I’m gonna call the HR manager tomorrow morning. We’ll see what happens

A response either way is only professional. I’ve dealt with quite a few people who after interviewing me were singing my praises and promising me the world, only to never hear from them again. In the long run that type of unprofessional behavior only hurts the company as word gets around.

hoan0106 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So I interviewed a few weeks ago at this well > established money manager and thought I nailed > it. > Sent a few follow-up thank you emails (albeit just > recently) and haven’t gotten a reply. > Is it too much to expect a reply back? If they > want to pass shouldn’t they just come out and say, > or does not replying say it? > any thoughts? Yeah they def should, a person in HR should contact you and tell you they’re still considering you and haven’t made a decision for whatever reason. But the reality is they don’t care. The same thing happened to me at a PE firm, I swear I had the gig and recruiter said I’ll call you in two weeks b/c I’m going to be on vacation next week. I ended up getting a letter in the mail during the week she was on “vacation”, signed by her, saying they’d chosen someone else. I think recruiters should call and tell you they’ve decided not to hire you. Even if they don’t call, in your case some notification is warranted.

“Courtesy is for wimps!” (however, on this issue, I strongly believe in being wimpy!)

imho, firms and recruiters are much more friendly and responsive when they actually want you. altho i have had firms come back to say they are going “another way” i have been through more experiences when they simply drop you. (and this is AFTER fourth, fixth, sixth round of interviews when it was pretty much between myself and another candidate.) on the other side of the table, i have seen my managers (in the past) just never return calls post interview. i have literally fielded numerous calls just to say he’s off the desk because he didn’t have the balls to flat out reject the candidates. and don’t worry about sending your thank you email a bit late. it won’t make or break you.

I don’t think not hearing from a company is that uncommon. Whenever I go into an interview, one of my final questions is…what’s the process from here/your timeline etc. If I were not to hear from a company for 2 weeks after them saying, filling the role is a priority, I’d think they’d gone another way… This past spring, I had an informal meeting with the VP of HR at a bank, sent her a thank you follow-up note and received an e-mail in September (4 months later) requesting that I come in for interviews…I wasn’t even mad. Getting a job isn’t dating…the company doesn’t owe you anything.

^ so can we say “a kiss is not a contract”??

zactly…

Turkish Wrote: > > Getting a job isn’t dating…the company doesn’t > owe you anything. Lol you’re right, I think we start to realize that as we become seasoned. It’s business not personal.

I also treat dating as part of the biz…