CPA, FRM and CAIA instead of CFA

There is a lot of overlap between level 2 of the CAIA and the CFA curriculum. If you can pass level 2 CAIA then you are on your way to passing a good chunk of the the CFA exams and might as well do that instead (first). Overlap: Ethics (Verbatim) Quant (They just expect you know all quant but not as well as the CFA) Fixed Income (They focus on mbos and cdos and things of this nature, but assume you know the basics) Alt Investments (almost verbatum) Fin Statement Analysis (Assumes you know the basics) So basically, only really the equity part gets missed.

I would respectfully disagree to a certain extent; I think you’re right that there’s quite a bit of knowledge assumed by the CAIA curriculum (which the CFA background is very helpful for) and some overlap, but the vast majority (meaning 85%+ and probably more) of the CAIA curriculum is simply not in the CFA curriculum.

I am also certain that the CAIA curriculum would teach every one of you mutha uckas a massive amount of stuff about investing generally, though it may not all be directly useful to your career.

One of the great things about CAIA is that it has more vowels. What kinds of words can you form with just FRM or PRM or Ph.D. You gotta have vowels.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > One of the great things about CAIA is that it has > more vowels. What kinds of words can you form > with just FRM or PRM or Ph.D. You gotta have > vowels. Trying to pronounce CAIA as a word makes it sound like you’re sneezing.

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am also certain that the CAIA curriculum would > teach every one of you mutha uckas a massive > amount of stuff about investing generally, though > it may not all be directly useful to your career. Fully agree with this. I’ve found the CAIA’s to be much more interesting and thought provoking than the CFA. Of course you’re going to get every clown with an opinion on here being derisory about it, some things don’t change. I’m not saying the CAIA’s are more difficult, they aren’t, but it’s not all about difficulty, it’s about understanding concepts.

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Whenever I see someone w/ multiple other > designations (ie CIMA, CAIA) in a position which > would benefit from having the CFA, I generally > assume the guy just got the other designations > because he couldn’t get through the CFA exams. > It’s like people think they can compensate for > lack of CFA by just adding a bunch of other > letters. Ok this is unfair, no one in their right mind lumps in the CAIA with the CIMA, which is an absolute joke. And nearly all of us getting the CAIA are doing the CFA as well. The CFA and CAIA complement each other nicely which is why you see so many pension fund people or consultants like NEPC http://www.nepc.com/about_us/our_team with both. I agree CAIA doesn’t work as well as a standalone, but you can’t doubt its growing acceptance and the knowledge it provides. And for full disclosure, I just sat for the CAIA L II and am taking the CFA L II in June.

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wasn’t this in the level 2 derivatives curriculum? > How to make a synthetic CFA? LOL

I don’t feel like taking more exams, or reading it all by myself, but I wouldn’t mind having someone walk me through the CAIA material just to know it, or even just to know what’s in it.

EoghanLyons Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m not saying the CAIA’s are more difficult, they > aren’t, but it’s not all about difficulty, it’s > about understanding concepts. No, it’s about what the credential can do for you. If the CAIA isn’t widely recognized or beneficial to your career, then unless it’s the most efficient way to study a subject it’s not of much value.

bchadwick - here you go: http://caia.org/caia-program/curriculum

Wildcat, I think you should go for it! What do you have to lose, besides your sanity? You already have your JD and you’re a CPA? You should definitely add the CFA, CFP, CAIA, and FRM. You sh*ttin me? If you decide to go for all of them you’ll be 35 and probably be alone. Will a bunch of overlapping designations keep you company?

Some of you people have non-functional sarcasm detectors. Anyways, Chicken Tikka is absolutely correct. The usage of other designations to mimic a CFA is essentially a synthetic CFA. Most prospective employers understand this and equally value a FRM, CAIA, CFP and CPA against a CFA.

PhillyBanker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Some of you people have non-functional sarcasm > detectors. > > Anyways, Chicken Tikka is absolutely correct. The > usage of other designations to mimic a CFA is > essentially a synthetic CFA. Most prospective > employers understand this and equally value a FRM, > CAIA, CFP and CPA against a CFA. I disagree. Many employers don’t care about designations. The ones that do likely care about the CFA, not a collection of letters that adds up. I have seen one FRM at my company, though I’m guessing if I asked around most wouldn’t know what it means (and almost all wouldn’t care).

jdough Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wildcat, > I think you should go for it! What do you have to > lose, besides your sanity? > You already have your JD and you’re a CPA? You > should definitely add the CFA, CFP, CAIA, and FRM. > > You sh*ttin me? If you decide to go for all of > them you’ll be 35 and probably be alone. Will a > bunch of overlapping designations keep you > company? i agree. i think you should also get the Certified Financial Advisor and Cat Fancier’s Association designations so that you can put multiple CFA marks after your name. the goal is to get the designations to wrap all the way around your business card.

Danny Boy Wrote: > I disagree. Many employers don’t care about > designations. The ones that do likely care about > the CFA, not a collection of letters that adds up. > I have seen one FRM at my company, though I’m > guessing if I asked around most wouldn’t know what > it means (and almost all wouldn’t care). Wow Danny Boy. I even include a disclaimer regarding people’s inability to pick up on sarcasm and you just dive in. lol

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: > > i agree. i think you should also get the Certified > Financial Advisor and Cat Fancier’s Association > designations so that you can put multiple CFA > marks after your name. the goal is to get the > designations to wrap all the way around your > business card. Ahh, the venerable CFA Stack. Two ways to disclose a CFA Stack on you business card: PhillyBanker, CFA CFA CFA or PhillyBanker, CFA^3 Even better, for only the most bad azz playas: PhillyBanker, MBA CFA CFA CFA CPA CFP FRM CAIA CTA

PhillyBanker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wow Danny Boy. I even include a disclaimer > regarding people’s inability to pick up on sarcasm > and you just dive in. > > lol heh, oops

PhillyBanker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: > > > > > i agree. i think you should also get the > Certified > > Financial Advisor and Cat Fancier’s Association > > designations so that you can put multiple CFA > > marks after your name. the goal is to get the > > designations to wrap all the way around your > > business card. > > Ahh, the venerable CFA Stack. Two ways to disclose > a CFA Stack on you business card: > > PhillyBanker, CFA CFA CFA > or > PhillyBanker, CFA^3 > > Even better, for only the most bad azz playas: > > PhillyBanker, MBA CFA CFA CFA CPA CFP FRM CAIA CTA though an important point to remember is that its against CFAI Ethics rules to put the CFAI CFA mark after the other CFA marks.

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: > i agree. i think you should also get the Certified > Financial Advisor and Cat Fancier’s Association > designations so that you can put multiple CFA > marks after your name. the goal is to get the > designations to wrap all the way around your > business card. Don’t forget the Contract Flooring Association: http://www.cfa.org.uk