credit at ratings agencies?

i am looking to move to a credit ratings agencies in my career path. i am now in a credit analyst position for a finance firm, and my job involves conducting due dilligence on companies who come to us for loans. mostly financial statement analysis stuff. i am aware that there is a whole world of difference between the kind of credit i am doing now and the stuff thats done at S&P/Moodys/Fitch. i realise that those agencies are more “pure” in their credit research work, which is what i want ideally instead of the work i do now. so i am looking to building up my credit knowledge base to prepare for my job hunt in the next year or so. what are some of the most common tools/models/skills that an entry level analyst at these agencies would have usually, or expected to know? and what would be a good way to learn them? is specific industry knowledge/prior coverage experience usually required? how much of a quant background am i expected to have? i grad a year ago with an econs degree…

Post your email address, I’d be happy to speak offline with you if you’d like…

email me at bostoncreme@gmail.com thanks hamilton!

Hamilton, later this week i am meeting a sector team leader at a rating agency. it won’t hurt to receive some helpful advice my email address is ozcfa@yahoo.com.au thanks in advance mate

lightningbolt - if you don’t mind me asking, what is the typical compensation range (base and bonus) for someone doing the type of work you do now at the analyst and associate level? Thanks.

dirtyz, i am not sure how useful my answer will be to you because i am based in asia actually. i am at a financial services firm and as the most junior analyst here with no prior credit experience, compensation is about 30K thereabouts (bonus factored in, converted to USD). those that are working in banks prob get more im sure. yep i know it pales in comparison to what gets discussed on this board…but it is what it is *shrugs*. i just want to learn as much as i can now.