Credit Portfolio Management

Hi, I have been working in sell side credit research in an investment bank and am looking to move into asset management (fixed income). I recently had a job offer from another bank’s credit portfolio management team as a buy side analyst. This is not a real asset management position as the team does not work to provide returns from buying or selling bonds but rather balancing the bank’s exposure to corporate names (mainly loans exposure) by Buy/Selling CDS to balance risk. I wonder if even not an asset management job, it would help me get closer to a fixed income analyst/PM position, or is it not a path I should consider? Thanks for the advice!

Any comments or advice? thanks in advance.

CFAJ09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wonder if even not an asset management job, it > would help me get closer to a fixed income > analyst/PM position, or is it not a path I should > consider? i don’t think it would get you closer to fixed income or PM as it would be the opposite direction, but it would get you closer to the action. if i were you, i’d be patient and wait for a role you want to open up.

In my view: My position now: Looking at names, analyse and publish recommendations, no market access. The other position: Looking at names that are in the portfolio, analyse and evaluate risk, give input to the portolio manager to buy or sell protection via CDS, which means being closer to the market. Why do you think that would make me go in the opposite direction from being a fixed income portfolio manager?

CFAJ09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- because you’re trading on loan exposure, not bonds, and your taking the opposite position (CDS). this description sounds like a treasury role.