Criminal Background

In the trading industry, it’s the opposite. But you absolutely have to get your felony after you get hired. Coke use is common.

As more time passes, I doubt anyone will care. Unfortunately I don’t think there is a way to get these sealed or expunged once convicted due to the strong lobby of MADD. Just make sure you disclose them on applications. You should have tried to get these fixed before you were convicted. And let this be a lesson to the rest of you. Put the burden of proof on the state. NEVER BLOW no matter what the cop tell you, especially if it’s your first.

The advice of “never blow” shouldnt be followed in the UK as failing to provide a specimen of breath is in and of itself a criminal offence which carries the same punishment as drink driving…so you may as well blow and take your chances, especially if you feel you are borderline.

having said that I abhor drink driving and think those who do should be ashamed, selfishly putting the lives of others at risk.

Completely agree. That being said though, the 0.08% limit in the US or the 0.05% limit in the UK and Europe is a far cry from being drunk.

It’s only by luck that I don’t have a DUI or fifty myself, so I personally wouldn’t care if I were looking to hire you.

But more than enough to be impaired significantly.

It depends on the person. 0.05% < than 2 beers in 1 hr. For me and most people I know, that is not impaired at all.

I agree there is a difference between sinking 10 pints, then jumping in the car vs drinking what is considered an “acceptable” amount to be under the limit, but going slightly over due to drinking on an empty stomach or suchlike. But I’d rather drivers err on the side of caution…“drunk” people rarely think they’re drunk…and as magician implies, subjective labels like “drunk” are relative. You can be too drunk to drive, but perfectly able to do other things.

Saying as limits are there based on research of how human reaction speeds etc relate to blood alcohol levels, I’m going to side with the science over people who claim to be “just fine to drive”. Combine that with the fact that they put not only their own lives at risk, but all other road users and pedestrians, I’m pretty unsympathetic to anyone caught driving over the limit.

I sound a bit preachy I admit, but I wouldn’t hire a two time convicted drunk driver unless there was some outstanding reason or evidence to convince me otherwise. It shows a complete lack of judgement on their part, and a selfish streak to boot.

Moral of the story? Take a f@cking taxi dude !!

This is your subjective opinion, or you’ve conducted controlled experiments to establish it?

Ditto

Highly controlled with more than 1,000 samples over 14 years. t-stat = 7.98. I’d say that is significant.

I dont really get the notion that drunk driving is selfish. If you’re wasted, you dont have the state of mind to properly even evaluate the potential ramifications of driving or your ability to do so. It’s more of a commentary on poor planning prior, or lack of control in limiting yourself from drinking too much than it is selfish of someone choosing to drive imo

My independent studies have yielded similar results. Let’s submit to Nature for publishing.

So basically if you are drunk when you do something, you get a “get out of jail free card” in terms of morality?

That’s just weak man, sorry.

^ The reality is that a person simply cant think remotely rationally or make a logical decision at certain level of drunkeness. If you are at a .20, .25, .30 range, you cannot make a good decision as whether to drive or not. People make it seem like it is this situation where the person says “here I am super drunk. I am going to drive anyway because I dont care about anyone else.” and that’s not the case at all. It is not really a commentary on being selfish as it is just being foolish to get that drunk in public to where your decision making ability is severely compromised

Especially if your popping adderall or doing fat lines of coke like a BSD.

Are folks really still arguing that impaired driving is no big deal? Maybe this is a cultural thing. No way would a DUI be shrugged off here, it’d be social and career suicide. And rightfully so. You couldn’t have a more clear case of selfish irresponsibility. Bunch of BSD’s too poor to afford an Uber or cab? Sad.

^ I think people can sympathize with DUI offenders because at one point or another, a large percentage of americans have driven impaired and know it could have easily been them. I don’t know a single young person that drinks that hasn’t driven impaired at one point or another in their late teens/early 20s. It’s a sad reality but 100% true. In my undergrad years of school, I saw it literally hundreds of times. I personally know several people that have killed and or seriously injured someone during a drunk wreck. I read something once that said that only 1 out of every 88 drunk drivers is actually stopped and given a DUI. So in theory, 88 people can sympathize with each person that gets one.

Just as easily, I know plenty of people who never made that choice at any point. The people that I know of who did make the choice to drive impaired were generally irresponsible, selfish, unreliable, self-proclaimed as “the man", or some combination of those traits… to be fair, this is just from people that I know, and certainly not representative of everyone else…

As for the statistics- I figured after studying Level I quant you would recognize your statement isn’t very solid (your inference doesn’t necessarily match the sampled population). Just because someone drives drunk, doesn’t mean he or she sympathize with others who do it. Also, you might want to check the math… 1 out of 88 is 1 with condition x (given DUI) and 87 with not x (not given DUI, in this case) yes