Criminal Background

Although it isn’t a felony nor as dangerous, would you consider hiring a competent person whom you’ve heard committed adultery? Between the DUI guy and the adulterer, who would you take all else equal?

I woudl rank as:

(less bad) Adulterer – DUI busted – Cocaine snorter (more bad)

I disagree, the legal limit is very low and probably lots and lots of people over the course of their lives have driven over the limit. I agree that most people have not driven raging drunk though, just over the limit. I bet it is close to 90%. I know it’s definitely over 50%. That’s not financiers either, that’s everyone. And we disagree that people have regard for their fellow man. Hat tip if that’s you, but most people will stab someone else in the face (metaphorically speaking) for a couple of dollars.

My firm would knock you back for a drink driving conviction or drug possession or any trouble with the law at all. They even ding people for bad credit.

ive never driven over the limit in the UK but have in a country where there was zero chance of getting caught and in a scenario where it was necessary. My ride was so drunk he couldn’t stand. I’d had some coke earlier too so was pretty straight.

driven stoned shitloads though, really takes the edge off the corners. Crawling along at 20mph thinking every car on the horizon is the filth. Looking back on my youth I really was a total cunt.

i would say 90% of ppl i know have driven impared at some point

^ Same. I can name people on one hand that I know have never driven impaired. Like I said before, go stand outside of a bar in a city where cabs are not a normal thing. 95% of the people there are getting in their own cars at 2 am and not taking a cab.

30 percent of Americans don’t even drink, at all: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/ Sounds like the majority here are in the top 2 deciles.

Don’t drink _ now _. I’m saying most people have driven impaired at any time in their lives. I hardly drink at all and even I’ve driven impaired in the past. I average <2 drinks per week.

I’d say about 15% of my friends in Austin have either been arrested for DWI or pulled over at one point. These are normal college educated people working normal jobs… lawyers, financiers, startup nerds etc. Normal people in their 20s and 30s. Actually just last week a top exec at my firm was rear-ended in his S Class and was asked “Have you been drinking” even though he was rear-ended while stopped at a red light.

Here, you first get arrested, have your license suspended, pay about 10k in initial fees, hearings, legal expenses, etc, then wait to see if the prosecutor wants to take you to court, offer a plea bargain, or drop charges. I’ve seen friends get arrested under completely bullshit circumstances. I even had a friend who was severely sleep deprived by cramming for level 3 get pulled over and arrested after studying until 3, although charges were eventually dismissed. Still cost him a few grand, and if he didn’t have money I’m sure the DA would have taken him to court or tried to get him to plea.

Because of that, I’d have to ask the candidate the circumstances. If someone has 1 DWI and they blew a .09 after their girlfriend was puking and no cabs would pick them up, I honestly couldn’t care less. I’d take that person over an adulterer or cokehead in a second. It’s a mistake. Its also relevant where you get arrested. I understand that in LA if you get arrested for DWI, you can plea bargain down to almost nothing 90% of the time, so if you can’t it was probably a bad one. In some places you won’t get arrested unless you’re passed out behind the wheel or cause an accident.

2 is different. For one, if you’re actually convicted twice that means to me that at least one was a true offense. It also means you’ve done it about 500 other times in your life. I’m more worried about you being an alcoholic with major issues than a person who is immoral. For those types I’d say the only opportunity to get their career back on track is to completely stop drinking and try to meet people who have experienced similar. I guarantee you there are people at AA meetings in New York who can hire you.

But if you look at the data, only about 10% of those over 21 have never had a drink in their life. And that is largely skewed by women (33% more likely to have never drunk than males) and Asians ( 3x more likely to have never drunk than whites). Probably fewer than 5% of white males in the US have never had a drink in their life.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/dear-mona-how-many-people-have-never-drunk-alcohol/

^ So women and Asians aren’t people? What of Mormons, strict Muslims, Orthodox Jews, etc. And there are subsets. I’ve been drunk, never drove drunk. Then there are those that have drank, but haven’t been drunk (my wife in that camp), and obviously therefore cannot have drove drunk.

^ just implying that it’s a cultural thing. AF probably doesnt have too many asian women on the site, hence many people on here knowing a lot of people that have driven impaired. White guys age 21-35 who attended college (ie a ton of people on this site) likely know a ton of people that have been known to drink and drive at least one time in their life.

So my major takeaway is that Asian women are the least likely to drive drunk, but are still very dangerous on the road even when sober. Is that what we’re all saying here?

+1… I approve this message

No. If someone is a sinuous sneaky SOB, I wouldn’t trust them with money (ie the adulterer).

DUI busted - we’ve all been too drunk to know if we’re too drunk to drive. Some just get caught.

^ I agree with this.

Without giving away what we did, let’s start a poll.

Who has has been cited for something other than a minor traffic ticket?

Who’s been arrested?

I’m guilty of both of the above.

^ One immutable law of the universe is that it’s not racist if it’s true…

An Asian woman in a prius is the most dangerous force on the road.

I love Asian people, and they’re good at a lot of things, but not driving.

^ So far, record is super clean. No citations and no arrests. Have even talked my way out of every traffic stop I’ve been in. Luck has consistently been on my side.

However there is someone in Canada with the same name and biirthday as me that has a lengthy rap sheet. As such, I have had to provide police clearance forms for employers and at the US border. Extremely annoying.