CSK - what are you gonna do ?

CSK - if you’re done with CFA, you strike me as a candidate for CQF. Upside is that it can be done in about 6 months. Downside is that it’s pretty expensive (roughly $15k, I think, possibly plus books). But I think you’d be pretty set with a CFA, CQF combo - not necessarily because the CQF is so great in and of itself, but I think it would give you the tools where you could confidently say you add value to the investment process - and you might be able to develop your own quant processes yourself.

I never heard of CFQ, i will ask our quants :slight_smile:

it is certificate in quantitative finance… http://www.7city.com/cqf_qualified.php?area=quants&outline=cqf&course=qualified&country=uk

CFQ is not that useful from what I hear

I vaguely remember that 2007 is the cutoff date for software engineers and like to qualify. Not sure where to find the official answer. Maybe I should shoot them an email. comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > oh and btw, since you enrolled in 03, your > experience will still count. For me it wont. It > all depends and which time you enrolled into > programm, not when you completed it AFAIK

csk, I think we can take the PRM, which is quick (two exams exempted) and cheap (Free Membership) I’m seriously thinking about it :slight_smile:

hmm is it any interesting and requires atleast calc knowledge?

i think so as I heard it requires more math than FRM but need to look at the material to confirm

I am considering to take PRM as well

me too. Ilike the idea that you can take test any time. What is respected more PRM or FRM?

Same boat. I’m a design engineer desiging computer chips, totally not relevant… Does becoming an affiliate member helps to get finance jobs?

I doubt it helps directly, but if you start attending local chapter events as an affiliate, you have a chance to network, and that may certainly help.

Ok, here’s the deal. The position is for an equity research associate on my team. Building models and stuff like that. Lots of fun. Strong programming and excel skills required. Comp Sci background will be considered favorably as will philosophy majors. I will put up a job posting on NYSSA because this is legit. You will know the posting when you see it. Job is based in NYC. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to hire anybody from far far away. Need to fill the position ASAP. Candidates must have a valid passport and no travel restrictions.

88fiveo, lets talk. I dont have excell skills (as any real programmer i was staying away from this :)) but i am sure i can pick this up. can you please email me at compscikid at gmail dot com P.S. i am in NYC

CSK, someone like you should never say they don’t have Excel skills. It’s a bit like a Formula One race car driver saying he’s not sure how to drive an automatic transmission. Some people aren’t smart enough to figure out that you’ll pick up 90% of the functionality you need within two days, and 99% within the first two weeks. At most, say that you need to brush up on some of the shortcuts and pivot tables (excel’s built in flat file database sorting mechanism.

> At most, say that you need to brush up on some of the shortcuts and pivot tables > (excel’s built in flat file database sorting mechanism. And knowing this stuff is sometimes very helpful even to a hardcore programmer, so it makes sense to spend some time with an Excel book.

also Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > At most, say that you need to brush up on some > of the shortcuts and pivot tables > > (excel’s built in flat file database sorting > mechanism. > > And knowing this stuff is sometimes very helpful > even to a hardcore programmer, so it makes sense > to spend some time with an Excel book. agreed, but i hate overselling myself in any situation.