CSK - what are you gonna do ?

I guess I am in the same boat as you… passed everything alright but got to wait on the charter because I am not in this field. Am trying harder than I can to switch but ain’t working out as yet… so what do I do with the experience and the sponsors… any ideas ?

no clue really, i have the same dilema

bump

actuaryalfred, what would you recommend?

If you cant make it, fake it ! Just kidding, finding a position in any financial institute is going to be tough at this point, although you guys are young …and if you can keep your head down and get in…you should be able to suffix CFA to your names.

csk, I don’t know and I’m more or less in the same boat

You guys looking for a job? You guys in NYC? Send me your info. I’m serious. How do we do this?

which email address should we send the info.

88fiveo I am from India, will it do?

Same here. No relevant experience. Not sure what to do!

What industry are you guys in? What do you do?

I am also in similar situation. But I am a CPA here in the west coast. I have been auditing public companies and was hoping that doing CFA will help me get in equity research. Looking for a break in the FS industry, any advice/pointers how to go about it should be greatly appreciated!!

IT Services

I’m in the same boat. Software engineer specializing on trading and asset management systems. When I took L1 in 2003, it still counted as relevant experience, but now it doesn’t. I left too many years drifted away before taking L2 and L3. I don’t know what I’m gonna do about it. The main incentive for me to take on L3 this year is that I don’t want to be a quitter. But to be honest, before knowing the result yesterday, I’m telling myself that if I fail this time, I will give up.

catenin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m in the same boat. Software engineer > specializing on trading and asset management > systems. When I took L1 in 2003, it still counted > as relevant experience, but now it doesn’t. I left > too many years drifted away before taking L2 and > L3. I don’t know what I’m gonna do about it. The > main incentive for me to take on L3 this year is > that I don’t want to be a quitter. But to be > honest, before knowing the result yesterday, I’m > telling myself that if I fail this time, I will > give up. Yeah, i do trading software too, equity derivs. Giving up is never an option regardless of whaty you do

oh and btw, since you enrolled in 03, your experience will still count. For me it wont. It all depends and which time you enrolled into programm, not when you completed it AFAIK

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah, i do trading software too, equity derivs. > Giving up is never an option regardless of whaty > you do https://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/charterholder/membership/jobtitles.html Product/software developer - doesn’t it count?

CFA Werewolf Where do you work in India ? I intend to come back to India in the next one year or so. Looks like I won’t get the charter either since my work exp also wont count. Although I work in a dept that primarily does lending, I am not directly involved with the investment decisions directly(I am managing the overall resources, strategy etc)and hence my work exp was rejected… However I will soon start working in the investment side though. I am wondering how easy it is to make a switch in India. Is it better to stick around here and come once I gain some experience. Age is not in my side since I am already in the wrong side of 30s. I have made a couple of switch already(from Eng to software to finance) and I want to make best use of the skills that I already possess…would appreciate any insight in to the job prospects in India in the financial sector. thanks.

also Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > comp_sci_kid Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > Yeah, i do trading software too, equity derivs. > > Giving up is never an option regardless of > whaty > > you do > > https://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/charterholder > /membership/jobtitles.html > > Product/software developer - doesn’t it count? well, it depends “Engaged in responsibilities and/or producing a work product that informs or adds value to that process” Can mean anything really. I guess i need to see real examples of work experience

If anyone cares, I could also use a job, but at a hedge fund. Im currently on the sell side doing equity strategy, thinking about moving over to a fund. Im here in NYC.