Current Rate Method vs. Temporal Method

Does anybody have the rules for these boiled down to a succinct form? May have already been covered in a previous post - if so please redirect. Thanks!

Kinda just something you have to remember. I remember it by only thinking about the differences. Such as:

Current Rate: All balance sheet accounts at current rate. All income statement accounts at average rate. Common stock at Historic rate.

Whats different?

Temporal: Non monetary Assets/Liabilities and expenses related to them (COGS, Depreciation) at the historic rate. Net income uses a mixed rate since Revenue and SGA (SGA is not related to your assets) use average rates while your Non-Monetary A/L use historic rates.

At the end of the day, the only difference is non-mon A/L and their expenses.

I remember which one to use by just rewriting this until it has been imprinted in my brain:

LC —> T —> FC —> CR —> PPC

If your LC is your FC, you use CR to get to PPC. If FC is your PPC, you use Temporal to get to FC

Since the Current Rate method is so easy to remember, try remembering the only difference :slight_smile:

Current Rate:

BS: everything is current rate (makes sense since BS is a snapshot of a company’s current condition as of BS date) except for shareholder stock which is translated at historic rate on date of issuance.

IS: everything is average rate (makes sense since IS is a slideshow of company’s performance over a period)

dividends, which is outside of both statements are translated at historic

since BS is translated at current rate except for one item, there’s going to be an imbalance upon translation and there should be a plugin account under equity to balance between original and translated BS. This account is called Cumulative Translation Adjustment.

Temporal:

BS: monetary assets/liabilities translated at current rate (makes sense since these assets/liabilites are most likely liquid), non-monetary A/L are translated at their historic rate on purchase date. shareholder stock is also translated at historic rate.

IS: everything is average, EXCEPT, on expenses related to non-monetary assets (COGS related to inventory, depreciation related to PPE) which uses historical rate. Net Income is now a mess under Temporal due to average/historical rate mixing up so the addition of Retained Earnings (NI-dividends) under BS is a plug-in figure. Temporal Method does not utilize CTA.

dividends, which is outside of both statements are translated at historic

Forgive me if I’m incorrect in some way, I myself is going to take the exam like you guys.