Cutting Caffeine

I don’t get peoples obssessions with soda.

I havent had one in probably 6 or 7 years.

^ +1

i went coffee free for 2 or 3 weeks - i missed the taste so i went back but I’ll never have more than 2 Canadian grandes a day. max one coke a day. I don’t know how you guys drink so much coffe and soda.

I have two young kids who keep me up half the night, most nights. Plus, its cold up here in Canada.

i switched from regular to decaf about 18 months ago for stomach reasons. the difference in taste isn’t all that bad and if you get a starbucks decaf (either in store or k-cup) it’s actually pretty decent. the pc brand k-cup decaf is okay and cheap so it’s my go to. i was only a 1-2 cups a day character before so dropping it wasn’t all that bad. i did notice a major drop in energy level and still feel a lack of energy to this day. something you can live with if it makes your stomach feel better.

as for why people drink decaf, coffee is a natural laxative and without it, i’m not regular. after having gone numero dos everyday after my morning coffee for 10 years, the prospect of becoming that constipated guy in the ex-lax commercial was unappealing. plus it still tastes like coffee and i like coffee so there’s that.

with 2 kids under 4, i find myself reaching for a full caf coffee about once a month just to get through the day. i find it doesn’t wreck my stomach too bad if i drink caffeine infrequently.

i haven’t noticed an improvement in sleep but that might be due to the kids. scientifically a better sleep makes sense.

Yeah I can related to krnyc’s point about needing a warm drink in the mornings, thats why I’m seeking out decaf. I need that hot beverage, because like Mike says, its cold in Canada.

When I switched offices on October, we now have free coffee and it’s pretty good. I’ve been trying to lose weight(down from 360 to 300 since October 1) and I find the caffeine + the hot liquid is a great appetite suppressant. I used to drink a 3-4 cups per week plus a ton of diet pepsi. Now I’m drinking large(14 ounce) cups per day, one when i get to work, and one 30-40 minutes after I eat the last of my lunch. I never need to grab a snack in mid afternoon anymore, my post work workouts don’t get bogged down with energy crashes, and I’m able to maintain focus.

I don’t know if it’s the caffeine, the dietary change or just better disposition after a job change and income bump, but I’m reluctant to change anything because something is working.

^ Congrats on the weight loss. Keep up the good work.

Really? That’s news to me. Maybe they have caffeine in the processed one’s - the one we have in our office has pure leaves in a see-through tea-bag…unless the leaves themselves contain some caffeine.

Eitherway, I feel more stable through the day since I switched to green tea

^ The leaves contain caffeine. It’s not as much as regular coffee, but it’s not insignificant either.

I only drink water and sometimes milk/juice. Why did you quit the consumption of caffeine?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/coffee-and-health/faq-20058339

Studies have shown that coffee may have health benefits, including protecting against Parkinson’s disease, type 2 diabetes and liver disease, including liver cancer. It also appears to improve cognitive function and decrease the risk of depression.

However, the research appears to bear out some risks. High consumption of unfiltered coffee (boiled or espresso) has been associated with mild elevations in cholesterol levels. And some studies found that two or more cups of coffee a day can increase the risk of heart disease in people with a specific — and fairly common — genetic mutation that slows the breakdown of caffeine in the body. So, how quickly you metabolize coffee may affect your health risk.

Try real green tea from loose leaf. There’s many kinds but some are very strong. Similar to coffee you’d start feeling super dehydrated if you drink just that, stomachache, headache, etc. If you want something easy on your stomach I would recommend barely tea. I’m not sure what the health benefits are, but according to mothers it’s good for you.

Geo, somehow I remember us dicussing this coffee thing in another thread.

Coffee messes my colon as well if I drink> 2 cups a day, and if I drink coffee in the morning.

Try this : drink coffee ; just not in the morning. Report back.

You can drink black tea, which will have even less caffeine than green tea.