Dec '08 Exam Takers

I’m doing in order. I’ve finished Ethic, Quant and Eco and start FSA today. I plan finish all by middle of Septembre then just do the test and review material

as a bored Level 2’er, let me give you all a piece of advice. Enjoy the long weekend (US candidates), drink a beer, get some sun, and for the love, do NOT spend your entire 3 day weekend holed up inside cramming for Level 1 at this stage. You guys have plenty of time and hitting it too hard right now will burn you out in November, which is that absolute worst time to break stride. Enjoy yourselves a little now so you are the most motivated at the best possible time.

Can anyone tell me, especially those who have passed/attempted level 1 exam before whether doing the entire practice questions with the simulated exam in Schweser, give sufficient confidence for the level 1 exam.

Thanks much budfox for that advice. Its true with me atleast, struggling with motivation and am just in 4th week. Well going with - Quant, Eco, FSA, Corporate Finance, Valuations, AI and Ethics. Currently with Econ SS4. Question for all here (L1 and if L2 guys can chip in) - What gives you confidence that particular section/reading is done. For example, I’m using Schweser study notes, questions at the back of CFAI text, schweser text q’s and schweser PRO. With those above 70-80%, does the prep look reasonable? Any topics that you would suggest must read from CFAI text, besides Ethics?

I used Schweser exclusively for Level 1, did a lot of Qbank and the entire Book 6 (now Practice exam Volume 1). I felt very prepared going in and walking out of the test.

I am done with ethics. Doing FSA My goal is to finish reading by october and take mocks/practcise exam by November

Cool ! Looks pretty much on target. Thanks again budfox427.

budfox427, what is you advice on books to follow. my plan is to follow cfa text mostly but it is taking longer time then expected. what was ur strategy

Schweser all the way. Learn concepts, don’t memorize. And try to internalize what you are doing, especially in the FSA section. If you can learn WHY you are making an adjustment, or WHY so and so ratio moves up or down, you will be well on your way.

budfox427, thanks for the advice buddy

I’m also exclusively using Schweser with an occasional reference to CFA texts when I need clarification. The breakdown per LOS in Schweser makes studying some dreary topics somehow bearable, I cant stand how CFA texts ramble on non LOS stuff thus wasting one’s time. I do take the CFA practice tests though.

Newbie here… just started. Skipped Ethics and working on Quant.

Well, I appreciate the advice Budofox but I think you gotta know your limits. It maybe too early to start studying for those folks can can study 4 hours a day + 6 on Sat and Sun but if you’re like me, with a small baby, a demanding job, moving soon into a new apartment, with a 2-week vacation in September, and so on, you either start early or end up a no-show. That’s what happened to me last year. I started studying what I thought was early enough (but not as early as I started this year) but with my daughter only 6months old at the time and a demanding full-time job…I just did’t even get to finish Econ. Not even with the help of my veeery helpful husband. So that was money down the drain…ouch. So, I just don’t think it’s a one-size-fits-all kind of thing. Some people need more months to study, some people need less…

i hear you. my first child was born while studying for level 2 this spring. here’s to hoping your spouse is as understanding as mine. while i agree, my point was to have a LITTLE fun now. don’t shut off the world just yet.

agreed. ok, I’m going dancing tomorrow. :slight_smile:

oh! and congrats on the new baby!

I havnt started studying as of yet…i dont know whats gonna happen… I can’t study when I am not under pressure… So I am planning to study for 7 hr/day after sept… lets see how it goes… 7 hrs after doing full time job…:wink: happy studying guys…

Started studying for Level 1 yesterday and finished Ethics Study session in about 6-7 hours flat. As boring as it indeed is, I somehow found good motivation to plough through. Took the Scheweser end-of-session Test - 51 questions, getting 35 right. Definitely need to go through the Ethics handbook now on CFA site,and have to revisit Ethics notes at least twice more later. Hopefully that would bolster the ethics results. I have to say Scheweser has excellent notes and they keep you involved through so many examples.

starting up SS 13. seems like CFAI was nice and gave us a little break after FSA. SS 11 and 12 were pretty straightforward.

hi i had a question to ask you since you have cleared level 1 how much emphasis should i place on eco? i hv finished the CFA book on eco but im not 100% confident. So just wanted to know at teh end when i review everything, how much emphasis should i place on eco. thx gayatri