DEC L1 2010 -- Place Results Here

Level 1: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - * - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 - * - - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - * - - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - * - Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10 F…that!!!, I quit.

seems like several ppl have this score… Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - * - - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 - - * - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - - * congrats to everyone who passed! For those who fell short…Good luck and dont quit !

• t0 Dude, you didn’t do too badly at all, it looks like you were very close, I seriously think you should try again. Derivatives got you, but everything else is strong.

Pass! :slight_smile: Every area above 70% Congrats people … Best of luck to everyone for the future

Level 1: Pass Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - * - - Corporate Finance 20 - * - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 - * - - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethics 36 - - * - FSA 48 - - * - Fixed Income 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - * - It took me about an hour to actually get into the site to see these results, but for 30 minutes I was able to at least see that the pass rate dropped 12% from the summer exam. I figured I was on the border of passing/failing already, so when I saw the 34% pass rate I was sure I wouldn’t pass. This was the lowest pass rate since 2005, so to everyone else who passed, good job. If you didn’t pass, just know that this was one of the harder exams, next summer that rate might come up. Looking back through history, this was the first time in awhile that there wasn’t just a 2% difference between the summer and winter tests, it’s kind of BS that they dropped the rate as low as they did. I was ready to mutiny when I saw that pass rate. This was my FIFTH time taking it, but only the first time where I actually studied (didn’t even crack a book the first two times and failed miserably, only read one book the third time, and only memorized formulas the fourth time). This site was a huge help, and using every single practice exam available was also a big help.

Pass, all >70 except 51-70 on Corp Finance and Quant: Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - * - - Derivatives 12 - - * - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - * -

jscfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > seems like several ppl have this score… Assuming that for a good candidate the probability of answering any question correct is >70%, the probability of scoring below 70% on AI is quite large, just because there are only 8 questions.

Passed this time, was a band 6 failure in Dec 2008. Had to put in a lot of hard work thank GOD it paid-off big time. Congrats to all those who passed. Don’t ever give up ,

I just have to ask (and I know this must be discussed regularly), are the questions on this exam anything like those at the end of the CFA materials chapter? Those questions are really straight forward. I know there is a TON of material, but 34%??? Are there that many people who just can’t commit to studying and sit for the exam anyway? My regrets to those of you who actually studied and didn’t make the cut. I surely know that feeling. Any thoughts are appreciated.

ShintreH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dbfinley Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Level 1: Pass > > > > The table below illustrates your subject matter > > strengths and weaknesses. The three columns > on > > the right are marked with asterisks to indicate > > your performance on each question or topic > area. > > > > > Filthy pass, ethics saved my ass. I still say F > > Schweser. LEVEL II BABY! > > > > > Weren’t you absolutely sure you failed? lol. Well 99.9% sure, I guess that .1% comes in sometimes lol

Hearty Congratulations to all of you who passed… It would really help if you guys/gals can post anything that stood out in your preparation that may have helped you/not helped you pass… it would be very valuable to all of us if any of us is treading the same path.

A Beaverhausen Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just have to ask (and I know this must be > discussed regularly), are the questions on this > exam anything like those at the end of the CFA > materials chapter? Those questions are really > straight forward. I know there is a TON of > material, but 34%??? > > Are there that many people who just can’t commit > to studying and sit for the exam anyway? My > regrets to those of you who actually studied and > didn’t make the cut. I surely know that feeling. > > > Any thoughts are appreciated. Read some of my older posts ranting. NO it is not straight forward at all. This test was a bear, and harder than anything on Schweser or the end of chapter q’s. I believe that 34%. The June test was much easier I just didn’t study enough. This one was hell. I honestly put down A for 15 answers because I had no clue what they were asking, i.e. hadn’t seen it covered.

Crushed it. Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 - - * - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - - *

Start as early as possible and stick to CFAI material / sample / mock exams. Hopefully this will see you throgh

KSTHANE Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Level 1: Pass > > Multiple Choice > Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% > - Alternative Investments 8 - * - > - Corporate Finance 20 - * - > - Derivatives 12 * - - > - Economics 24 - * - > - Equity Investments 24 - - * > - Ethics 36 - - * > - FSA 48 - - * > - Fixed Income 28 - - * > - Portfolio Management 12 - - * > - Quantitative Methods 28 - * - > > It took me about an hour to actually get into the > site to see these results, but for 30 minutes I > was able to at least see that the pass rate > dropped 12% from the summer exam. I figured I was > on the border of passing/failing already, so when > I saw the 34% pass rate I was sure I wouldn’t > pass. > > This was the lowest pass rate since 2005, so to > everyone else who passed, good job. If you didn’t > pass, just know that this was one of the harder > exams, next summer that rate might come up. > Looking back through history, this was the first > time in awhile that there wasn’t just a 2% > difference between the summer and winter tests, > it’s kind of BS that they dropped the rate as low > as they did. I was ready to mutiny when I saw > that pass rate. > > This was my FIFTH time taking it, but only the > first time where I actually studied (didn’t even > crack a book the first two times and failed > miserably, only read one book the third time, and > only memorized formulas the fourth time). This > site was a huge help, and using every single > practice exam available was also a big help. wow five times? that’s a lot money down the drain

cv4cfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hearty Congratulations to all of you who passed… > It would really help if you guys/gals can post > anything that stood out in your preparation that > may have helped you/not helped you pass… it > would be very valuable to all of us if any of us > is treading the same path. For me, these 3 things stood out: -Reading the Secret Sauce -Doing lots of practice/mock exams -Doing almost no studying on friday before the exam

Its not similar to the end of chapter questions at all. Its not similar to the schweser review book end of chapter questions either. The closest I would say are the CFAI Mock Exam questions(Not the sample exams which you can buy), they are very similar to the actual thing. I read all the CFAI textbooks except the dervativies/alternative investments one just for a good solid read and some background. Its alot easier to tackle Schweser I feel after just reading the textbooks because it gives you a good background of the everall text. However I did not do any of the questions for the textbooks, some were very lame, especially the ones for fixed income, which asked for shortanswers. I focused on the schweser questions+qbank(I did like 2500 questions), and lastly, most importantly, the 2 mock exams. I passed with >70% on all sections except derivatives(51-70%), But i barely studied options. By no means am i advocating that you dont need to study that, but I just knew all the other stuff so well that I knew I would have no problem on the rest of the sections. I was an econ major in college who never really studied. This was my first book busting my ass studying for something as intense as the CFA. I put in a min of 6 hours a day for 2 months and it really paid off. If you guys really want to pass without much background knowledge, you really need to just sit down and study study study. Unless ofcourse you double majored in accounting +finance with a minor in economics and got straight As, thats a whole different story =) GL to all that passed!

cfagoal2 Wrote: > wow five times? that’s a lot money down the drain! Luckily for me it wasn’t my money. Unluckily for my employer, it was theirs.

I don’t think there’s a universal solution - you just have to do whatever works for you, and focus on LEARNING and UNDERSTANDING the material rather than memorizing formulas and qbank questions. As far as the pass rate, CFAI did say in a statement that 28% of people who signed up didn’t show, vs. 25% last test, so that factors in. Still, it really is a difficult test. I studied and felt well prepared, and still felt that I took a beating during the second half. As in, wanted to get in fetal position under the table and cry. At any rate, I’ll take the pass and modify study techniques for L2.

I didn’t really felt the qbank was that helpful at all except to review formula based questions. For other types of questions, their format is too different than actual CFA questions. Especially the ethics questions in qbank was like worthless in my opinion.