DEC L1 2010 -- Place Results Here

^ I’m pretty sure the pass rate doesn’t include people who didn’t show up

^ It doesn’t. And finally someone believes me that Schweser is worthless. Again guys this test was brutal, and there really is no way around reading the actual materials. That what I’ll be doing for level II, so hopefully I can one and done it.

cv4cfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hearty Congratulations to all of you who passed… > It would really help if you guys/gals can post > anything that stood out in your preparation that > may have helped you/not helped you pass… it > would be very valuable to all of us if any of us > is treading the same path. I disagree with dfinley. I thought the test was a lot easier than the schweser tests, I also got bludgeoned by the mock, I never reached a 70% in anything prior to the tests. I was damn struggling for this one. What really helped me was the schweser tests. I personally feel it’s a waste of time doing too many full length tests, because IMO the length of the test is not so bad. You should definitely practice a few full length tests, but I think the focus should be on doing the schweser questions. I think a better practice would be to do a 3 hour test, see where you screwed up and hit those sections for a few days, and take another 3 hour test. I also recommend doing blocks of 10-15 schweser questions rather than long sections, it’ll help you focus your abilities much better. Schweser test questions are long and complicated and designed to confuse you, whereas the test questions seem much simpler. Of course if you don’t know the concept, it’s hard. Perhaps, I could just have gotten lucky, because the pass rate was low and many who failed must have also done schweser.

Wow!! I did not expect to pass at all, I did 1 month of cramming, had insomnia the night before, no time for qbank and EoC questions and no formal background in business (but plenty of my own self-learning). And I was getting 55-60% in practice exams and was so disappointed when people were posting thr 70-80% results. Even though I didn’t hit all 70%, I think my engineering background at a tough school probably saved the day cause 34% pass rate is quite lowwwwwwwwwwwwww Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 - - * - Economics 24 - * - - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - * - - Portfolio Management 12 - * - - Quantitative Methods 28 - - *

No it doesn’t. Pass rate only reflect people who showed up and took the test. Based on the numbers off the CFAI website: - 61,401 people signed up - 44,209 showed up and took the test - 15,031 passed

nycag04 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think there’s a universal solution - you > just have to do whatever works for you, and focus > on LEARNING and UNDERSTANDING the material rather > than memorizing formulas and qbank questions. > > As far as the pass rate, CFAI did say in a > statement that 28% of people who signed up didn’t > show, vs. 25% last test, so that factors in. > Still, it really is a difficult test. I studied > and felt well prepared, and still felt that I took > a beating during the second half. As in, wanted > to get in fetal position under the table and cry. > > At any rate, I’ll take the pass and modify study > techniques for L2. Absences aren’t included in the pass rate.

Passed! All above 70 except for Ethics…so much for thinking I had that area nailed down.

let me preface my results by saying i was 80% sure I failed. Read ethics for the first time two weeks before the exam and I guess on more than half of the FRA questions. Could not believe my eyes that I passed. - Alternative Investments 8 * - - - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - - *

Mock: AM 71%, PM 73% QBank questions: > 80% ------------------------------------- Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 - *- - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - *- - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - * -

And I just realized, I didn’t get a 70% in ethics and yet still passed, it kind of invalidates the “you MUST get ethics right”

dbfinley Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ It doesn’t. And finally someone believes me that > Schweser is worthless. Again guys this test was > brutal, and there really is no way around reading > the actual materials. That what I’ll be doing for > level II, so hopefully I can one and done it. No way, dude. SCHWESER ALL THE WAY! I used Schweser only and no CFAI materials. Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 - * - - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - - *

By the way, all I did was reading Schweser notes and doing 2,000 QBank questions, CFA sample exam and mock. I’ll take a break and study for L2 2011.

CFAMaven Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > And I just realized, I didn’t get a 70% in ethics > and yet still passed, it kind of invalidates the > “you MUST get ethics right” Not sure who said that, but they’re not necessarily correct. Ethics comes into play if you are borderline pass/fail.

Well Scheweser worked for me. I did not do more than 50 pages of CFAI books. CFAI books are red herring. I hate them. They are a waste of time. They are so wordy. It takes them 20 sentences to say something which needs only a sentence and so by the time I am at the 20th sentence I do not know what I was reading about. CFA is just pushing it down our throat. If they do not force us to buy those books the exam would be 75% cheaper, but hey who hates making money. If they could they would even make us buy boxers for the exam day. I wonder if they know that glossy pages doesn’t mean good content. I consider it completely unethical that CFA would push their book down my throat. No doubt they did not include any statement in the Ethics section on not forcing clients to buy hidden financial instruments along with legitimate package if the seller is aware about the low quality of the financial instrument.

Yeah I also only used Schweser (cause of time constraints). If I had the time, I would have at least done the EoC questions at the back of the official book. Dude…did people actually fail in analystforum or is this seld-reporting bias ? it seems like the 34% fail rate does not correspond at all to what the people in AF are getting.

A lot people that failed aren’t responding. Can’t blame them. I doubt that AF has a significantly higher pass than the general pop.

CFAMaven Wrote: > it seems like the 34% fail rate does not > correspond at all to what the people in AF are > getting. People in AF probably are more likely to pass. In addition to that, people who pass are more likely to post their results.

Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 - - * - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - - *

Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - * - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 28 - * - - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - - * Holy sh*t! Can’t believe I passed. In any event I used the Schwesser notes and heavily relied on the Qbank. The key to passing level I, imo, is doing a lot of questions. I probably did well north of 3,000 in preparation. What would I have done differently? I would have paced myself better. I found that I ran out of study time towards the end of the everything and derivatives suffered. Guess how that worked out for me? See above. LOL. The bottom line is that ANYONE can pass this thing with enough work. I’m probably the dumbest guy on this board by far by I passed and so can you.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I passed. I didn’t crack the CFAI books at all. Just used Schweser Notes, MP3s and QBank. There was only one thing on the test that I hadn’t heard of from studying Schweser, and I looked it up after the test and it turns out that I was able to deduce the right answer based on the background knowledge that Schweser gave me. I don’t want to sound like a commercial for Schweser, but anyone that says that their study materials don’t prepare you has no idea what they’re talking about.