December 1 2007 exam info

I recently registered for Level 1 exam here in Minneapolis, USA. The CFA institute has noted that they’d notify me about the exam details sometimes in October. I haven’t heard anything from them yet (granted, it’s still October and there is still some time). However, I am curious is anyone else has received any information regarding the exam time and location(s). In addition, can someone tell me how long the level 1 exam is? Is that a whole day event, or is it a 2-4 hour exam? How many questions are we gonna face in L1? Thanks

I haven’t received anything. 6-hrs exam (2 hr break in between), 240 multiple choice questions in total. I hope you’re not taking the same casual approach to your prep.

normally you’ll catch a fair amount of grief for posting questions like this, but I’ll throw ya a bone. 1) you’ll receive an e-mail from CFAI soon containing a link to your exam ticket, which you must print and bring the to exam (print more than one as a backup). This will display the address of your test center and other pertinent information. 2) It’s a six hour exam. 9AM-12PM, 2PM-5PM. Arrive an hour early. 3) 240 questions total: 120 each session. You have 1.5 minutes/question.

> 3) 240 questions total: 120 each session. You > have 1.5 minutes/question. If I finish Question 1 early, can I use the extra time on Question 2?

No, you have to wait until the electronic alarm on your desk goes off…then proceed to question 2.

stric75 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I recently registered for Level 1 exam here in > Minneapolis, USA. The CFA institute has noted that > they’d notify me about the exam details sometimes > in October. I haven’t heard anything from them yet > (granted, it’s still October and there is still > some time). However, I am curious is anyone else > has received any information regarding the exam > time and location(s). > In addition, can someone tell me how long the > level 1 exam is? Is that a whole day event, or is > it a 2-4 hour exam? How many questions are we > gonna face in L1? > Thanks It’s an online-adaptive test, the moment you achieve the threshold set by CFAI for this year, you will be displayed with the summary of all the right and wrong questions. Hey, btw, did you ever take the DMV knowledge test?? Precisely, it’s the same… I little bit easier though … because we don’t have to mug the penalties/charges/points-per-crime/imprisonment durations and beer/whine/whisky levels in the blood - Dinesh S

It’s actually just like the GMAT. It uses CAT methodology. If you get a question right, the next question is harder. If you get a question wrong, the next question is easier. It’s best to mess up the first few so you get easier questions for the rest of the exam.

i hear if you pass the am session you don’t have to sit for the pm session.

Where did you guys come from? And wheres this rumour monger? It cracks me up but am telling you, these comments are not funny 1 bit. preparation is key, so i’ll suggest you prepare like you’ve never done in your life and quit listening to comments like that. If you have any queries regarding exam format, CFAI website is remarkable.

I completely agree with webtwister above. It is not funny at all guys. Some people could get terribly confused by some of the stuff that you guys mention. However, my only advice would be to study like you have never studied before and whatever you do, don’t forget to take your notes to the exam. I cant stress enough how messed up your exam would be if you don’t use your notes.

You guys crack me up…study!!!

I’ve heard of a really cool option that CFAI offers starting in December to promote the practice exams. Candidates can take 5 practice CFAI exams (250 questions total) and if they score 70% or higher, it counts as a pass of the actual exam. I’m going to take the first one next Friday.

nilay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Some people could get terribly confused by some of the stuff that you guys mention. Sorry, but if this confuses you, then you ain’t gonna pass CFA !

We have a test? Crap.

http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/resources/examdetails/examdayexperience.html http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/resources/multiplechoicetips.html This should help you.

It is not a computer adaptive test. Please check the CFA website. It should provide you all the details. So you have 3 hours to complete 120 questions and does not matter how much time u spend on each questions, ultimately complete your paper in 3 hours and so they say it is 1.5 min per question.

So you were waived off the PM (2 to 5 PM) session, right? But not all enjoy such privileges. - Dinesh S