December 2010 Role Call

mbolzicco, Not sure who you are talking to here. I don’t plan on regurgitating anything, as I have said before, my regiment includes comprehension and repetition. Watching videos are another way I find helps me retain the information, although I am glad you have found the one and only way to prepare for this exam. I agree testing yourself regularly is important, which is why I continually use qbank, schweser and cfai EOC as well as examples from videos and this forum. Using an ad-hoc approach to studying by taking practice exams months before completion of the curriculum to identify weaknesses is not advice i’m willing to take, that is, unless your paying for my registration and time. Plenty of candidates throughout the years have read the material then quizzed themselves and passed. Unless something has severely changed since you took the L1 exam, I highly doubt this method is ineffective. Thank you for your “insights” Matt.

Hi Guys - I am also sitting L1 in December in London. I sat in 2008 but did not study sufficiently to achieve a pass. Have already made a gentle start with the Schweser (08) matrial along with the Institutes learning outcome books. Cheers

Hi SpyAli: Thanks for the suggestions, will move to Econ after this… :slight_smile:

Going to start my prep with next week. I’ll be using Elan’s Ultimate Pack. FYI: For those of you searching the web for freebies, you should visit www.elanguides.com/samples.php. They provide a lot of their material for free!

Hi all, Sitting for L1 first time in December as well, I bought the Stalla notes and videos and will be following along with their online classes starting in early July. I have already started studying two weeks ago and would be interested in hearing from those with previous testing experience and no accounting experience the best way to hammer out FRA. I think this will be my weakest subject due to the fact I know nothing about accounting methods and it seems to be the largest weighted section on the test. Thanks.

Hi guys, I’m starting for the Dec 2010 too, just a couple of weeks. To be honest, I haven’t found the right way to get to the materials. So glad that you guys are all sharing things up here so that I can have more motivation and hope that I’ll find my ways once fully focusing. Good luck to all of us. Katie

The strategy I stick to when I study for the CFA exam is similar to that of assembling a jigsaw puzzle. I read all 5 Schweser study notes once, to have a big picture. Then I reread all 5 books again 2-3 times to fill in the details.

Thanks for the info!

Hi Guys Sitting for L1 December10. m MBA-Finance 2009 Batch. m aware of Finance - (basics and intermediate level) Started studying 2 weeks back, completed 2 Readings in Quant. and 3 in Economics. Am essentially studying from Schweser 2010 (is it a good idea to read Secret Sauce before starting with every Reading ? ) and Curriculum side by side as referance. Its consuming lots of time. if any better method guys pl suggest. Study Hrs. 1 Hr. in the Morning 2hrs. in Evening / night. Reviews every Saturday (5-6 Hrs. -> i have saturday off :slight_smile: ) Sundays - Devoting maximum time with 20 minutes break for every 1.5 hr. (Though find that i end up taking 1 hr. break for each hr. :slight_smile: ). I have classes starting for L1 from July 4. I plan to take Mock Tests, solve problems from Late October and November (gotta get time after this mad schedule). Right now just solving EOC and Comprehensives from Schweser. Regards, Vikrant

^ How many L1 candidates here already have some background in finance/stats etc?

Hi guys, im gonna take the exam on Dec, too Do you guys think it is enough just to cover the books that CFAI sends to me?

Hi vgmalu, Great!!! Hope u will be able to complete it by october. I have started Corp finance, but slow progress, by the way, wr have u joined for L1 class. All the best.

Level 1 rookie reporting from Downunder (Sydney) marking up to the December 2010. Have skimmed through FRA, although got too overwhelmed by the amount of information in the CFA written books. Started Corporate Finance and it seems good so far. Hoping to finish CF and other modules following it and then reverting back to Econ Quant and finally picking up FRA again. Ethics to be the last ones of the topics like all suggest it should be. Looking forward to the network with fellow troopers here =) Good luck all

mbolzicco Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you plan > to memorize material and expect to regurgitate it > on exam day, prepare for a poor result. Agreed. My guess is that current/recent undergrads might have a better grip with study and learning routines; we’ve been doing it for the past four years and constantly preparing for exams makes for at least good practice.