decision days = 0

Anyone know what happens if my local society doesn’t approve my app before the 45 day deadline runs out? Does it default to approve? Do I get to roshambo everyone on the membership committee? can anyone explain how it can be so difficult to rubber stamp CFAI’s membership recommendation within 6 weeks?

Not sure exactly, but I think you only need to apply to your local society. You definitely don’t have to join (I didn’t), but maybe you have to be accepted by your local society first. Are you able to pay the CFAI? If so, I would do that and you will probably get the charter.

It took my local society a few days to let me know I’d been accepted after the 45 day decision day deadline expired. this was just last month, so I am thinking that my experience might be predictive of yours …

did you use the letters before local society approval? apparently you can use them after you activate CFAI membership without having local society approval if the 45 days passes.

jbaldyga Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > apparently you can use them after you > activate CFAI membership without having local > society approval if the 45 days passes. I have never heard of this before. I would call CFAI

^i did. that’s what they said.

jbaldyga Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anyone know what happens if my local society > doesn’t approve my app before the 45 day deadline > runs out? Does it default to approve? Do I get > to roshambo everyone on the membership committee? > > can anyone explain how it can be so difficult to > rubber stamp CFAI’s membership recommendation > within 6 weeks? yes it is…i talked to a person at the local society last week and she said the application is automatically approved by the system if the society does not approve it in 45 days.

You definitely don’t actually need to join a local society. I have the certificate, and have never joined the local society.

^any drawbacks you know of to not being a local society member? do you not get the member discount to locally hosted events?

Well, it depends how much you intend to use your local society. My local one (UK) hosts a variety of talks which I would be able to attend for a significant discount. I just decided I was unlikely to attend many. It would be better for someone who actually is a member to advise whether it is worth it though.