Derivatives

Is it just me, or is most of the Derivatives material repeated from L2? I wish I remembered more of it, but most of it looks familiar, and is definitely the most calculation intensive portion of the curriculum I’ve come across.

yes, the instruments are the same ones, except in L3 they show you to you use them as hedging strategies. calculations are not tough though.

yodhava Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yes, the instruments are the same ones, except in > L3 they show you to you use them as hedging > strategies. calculations are not tough though. +1 The difference shifts from calculations in L2 to application in hedging strategies in L3. More of a “how the heck do I use this stuff” thing now.

You guys just made my next 3 months. I’m fine with derivatives conceptually, but really struggled with the tediousness of some of the valuations.

well you’re still going to have to calculate spreads and values. I’d say this is more L2 derivatives + “how the heck do I use this stuff”

Chi Paul Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You guys just made my next 3 months. I’m fine > with derivatives conceptually, but really > struggled with the tediousness of some of the > valuations. Ditto…I actually enjoyed the derivatives readings. Definitely less calculations than in L2, too.

I am in the toward the end of this stuff and I am hoping with additional practice it all comes together for me. As it is now, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Hated derivs at L2, and not enjoying it much here either.

SWAPS are the best. Especially foreign currency swaps. I really miss those.

Derivatives and Fixed Income stuff are boring and tough.

derivs were tough for me on L2, so i’m not too excited for this portion. i’m spending the next couple days trying to master this stuff and get it out of the way

Even i find derivatives really tough—wonder what is the ideal way to remember each strategy and its application—can anyone guide what is the ideal way to do them?