Did Phelps fail CFA L3?

i got two words for you halifax: usain bolt

yeah, amazing run! Makes it look so easy. I think he could have gone 9.59 or so if he went all out as he would have had he not the 200 M coming up

this guy will break 9.5

It makes my head spin. How can someone run that fast?

I wonder how world records continue to be broken and sometimes by a wide margin. Is it just that we are better than the previous generations or do we have access to better technology which makes it so much easier to breed world record breakers.

is there any calculation from basic physics that says that your body parts will come apart if you run faster than x speed?. physics geeks, anyone?

Dsylexic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > is there any calculation from basic physics that > says that your body parts will come apart if you > run faster than x speed?. > physics geeks, anyone? roflcopter?

this seems to be the only interesting thread in the L3 section right now, what with everyone freaking out about ‘links’ quiz: what would michael phelps say after passing his L3 CFA exam? answer: “i am at a loss for words”

NICE!! Couldn’t agree more. Pumped for Triathlons. Usain Bolt vs Michael Phelps in a triathlon, who wins??? My money is on Bolt…but it would be interesting! If there were a cyclist, say Sastre I think they’d win due to the distance of cycling in the event, but who knows!!!

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NICE!! Couldn’t agree more. Pumped for > Triathlons. > > Usain Bolt vs Michael Phelps in a triathlon, who > wins??? My money is on Bolt…but it would be > interesting! > > If there were a cyclist, say Sastre I think > they’d win due to the distance of cycling in the > event, but who knows!!! Gotta go with Phelps. He’s got the cardio from all the swimming, and Bolt’s a sprinter.

com’on thats a no contest - triathlon is an endurance event

so whats the anerobic type event in swimming -just the 50 mtrs freestyle?. also,why dont they have a 8mile swimming race or something. equivalent of a marathon.

"- they are free to choose whatever style they want " FYI that is what “freestyle” means. Just so happens that one style is faster than all the other styles.

Dsylexic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > so whats the anerobic type event in swimming -just > the 50 mtrs freestyle?. > also,why dont they have a 8mile swimming race or > something. equivalent of a marathon. They now have a 10 KM swim this year, new event, which is not 8 miles, but close enough and probably about as far as anyone would ever want to swim competively. Swimming a meter exerts more than double the energy and muscle strain of running a single meter as running I’d have to think???

rohufish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > com’on thats a no contest - triathlon is an > endurance event True, but if they were both given 3 or 6 months to train my money is on Bolt, I think he’s a better athlete. Remember the most Phelps ever swims is 200 M which is the most Bolt ever runs true, but I’d hardly call a 200 M swim race an endurance either. 1500M yes…but not 200 M. So really its a gut call…

CFA_Halifax Wrote: > True, but if they were both given 3 or 6 months > to train my money is on Bolt, I think he’s a > better athlete. Remember the most Phelps ever > swims is 200 M which is the most Bolt ever runs > true, but I’d hardly call a 200 M swim race an > endurance either. 1500M yes…but not 200 M. 200M swimming is roughly equivalent to an 800M running (in terms of time, aerobic/anaerobic, etc…) - both take approximately 1:40 - 1:50 for top athletes. I forget what Phelp’s training regimen is, but based on conversations with swimmer friends, I’d guess he regularly puts in between 40 kilometers and 100 kilometers a week. That’s probably equivalent to 100-150 miles a week of running in terms of aerobic load. That is SERIOUS cardiovascular conditioning. Phelps might not be a runner, but it would take Bolt YEARS to get the conditioning Phelps has. In addition, he’s all speed - didn’t even want to run the 400M.

busprof Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA_Halifax Wrote: > > > True, but if they were both given 3 or 6 > months > > to train my money is on Bolt, I think he’s a > > better athlete. Remember the most Phelps ever > > swims is 200 M which is the most Bolt ever runs > > true, but I’d hardly call a 200 M swim race an > > endurance either. 1500M yes…but not 200 M. > > 200M swimming is roughly equivalent to an 800M > running (in terms of time, aerobic/anaerobic, > etc…) - both take approximately 1:40 - 1:50 for > top athletes. > > I forget what Phelp’s training regimen is, but > based on conversations with swimmer friends, I’d > guess he regularly puts in between 40 kilometers > and 100 kilometers a week. That’s probably > equivalent to 100-150 miles a week of running in > terms of aerobic load. That is SERIOUS > cardiovascular conditioning. > > Phelps might not be a runner, but it would take > Bolt YEARS to get the conditioning Phelps has. In > addition, he’s all speed - didn’t even want to run > the 400M. This is correct. 100m running is an all out sprint. There is no pacing involved; its explosive power period… seems like they are barely even up to speed half way though the race. Swimming is much different- even a 100m race involves pacing. The 50m is the only one that is a full out sprint. A 200m is VERY tactical… and the 200IM much more so as you are switching between muscle groups. Phelps also swims (and dominates) the 400IM and anyone who’s swam competitively can tell you that just swimming 300m after completing a 100m butterfly leg at race pace is a cardio feat :slight_smile: Besides clear bias as a retired swimmer, phelps would win. Swimming is unnatural to the common person, it take years of youth training to develop the “feel” for the water that is necessary to be an elite swimmer. It effects not only the amount of water you pull, but the streamline, as well as the ability to have muscles working at a high level w/ limited breathing. Every time you come off a wall you restrict your breathing for 10 seconds… doesn’t sound like much, but when you’re at 100%, believe me it hurts a lot. Ater a while you learn to deal with this pain. Everyone walks everyday, so phelps is a step ahead here. Phelps is also trained to deal w/ that lactic buildup that comes w/ long term anaerobic training- I don’t think Bolt trains for this. I was pretty inspired over this week, I even looked up a masters program to maybe get back in the water.

why are all the others goin nuts? sheesh. btw, i picked up this snack today - pretty good healthy alternative - ‘garden of eatin’ nachos. all organic, lotsa fiber, good stuff. tasty too.

OK…good arguments guys, I guess I agree, Phelps would win. But Bolt is still incredible! I never thought of the lactic buildups…nice insights.