Difference between Charter and Certification?

What exactly is the difference between a Charter and a Certification?

a charter grants the right to do something. a certification specifies you have the skills necessary to perform a certain task. for example, you may be very well certified to be a financial analyst, but a CFA is a charter that allows you to state you are amongst the top investment professionals in the world. I think a charter has a stronger meaning. thats why you dont say someone is CFA. you say someone is a CFA charter holder.

My initial understanding was that a Charter is akin to a license and it disallows people other than the charter holder to do certain things thanks to the enforceable authority behind it. e.g. Chartered Accountants. Once I learned about CFA, I realized that the two can be used interchangeably as long as you can have people agree to it.

A charter is a big piece of paper saying that you have the right to do something (in this case, put CFA after your name, provided you’ve paid up). A certificate is small piece of paper saying that you have done something. A diploma is like a ploma, except you have two of them.

BayStreet Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > a charter grants the right to do something. a > certification specifies you have the skills > necessary to perform a certain task. > > for example, you may be very well certified to be > a financial analyst, but a CFA is a charter that > allows you to state you are amongst the top > investment professionals in the world. > > I think a charter has a stronger meaning. > > thats why you dont say someone is CFA. you say > someone is a CFA charter holder. I don’t think you can drop the ‘since I’m a charterholder I’m among the top investment professionals in the galazy’, can you?

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A charter is a big piece of paper saying that you > have the right to do something (in this case, put > CFA after your name, provided you’ve paid up). > > A certificate is small piece of paper saying that > you have done something. > > A diploma is like a ploma, except you have two of > them. oh bchad. you’re what every man needs on a higher than expected jobless claims Thursday morn…

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BayStreet Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > a charter grants the right to do something. a > > certification specifies you have the skills > > necessary to perform a certain task. > > > > for example, you may be very well certified to > be > > a financial analyst, but a CFA is a charter > that > > allows you to state you are amongst the top > > investment professionals in the world. > > > > I think a charter has a stronger meaning. > > > > thats why you dont say someone is CFA. you say > > someone is a CFA charter holder. > > > I don’t think you can drop the ‘since I’m a > charterholder I’m among the top investment > professionals in the galazy’, can you? No. Ethics part of the curriculum clearly states you can’t make a statement like that