Dilemma of CFA-do or don't?

Hi all, Hope all of you guys are doing well, studying hard and watching TV for Dec 08 exams and for other levels in 2009. I need serious help guys!! I am in a situation where I cannot decide whether or not to enroll in this program. I am a qualified ACCA( I guess its equivalent to CPA) and a holder of Bsc honours degree from Oxford B. University both of which are recognised qualifications of UK. I have been recently applying for jobs and have been looking for financial analyst roles as well. I didn’t find any requirement asking for CFAs anywhere for UK jobs (especially London). They normally advertise seeking ACA, ACCA or CIMA holders. This really discourages me from studying the CFA course. However the depth of the knowledge (especially analyst based work)which can be gained from the CFA program is no match to any other courses. This really attracts and motivates me. Also there is a good package for a Financial analyst position but CFA is not a pre-requisite. But having this degree under my belt may attract some serious employers. However, a qualified ACCA is normally considered possessing a degree equivalent to Masters level. But the level of depth is not much compared to CFA (as I have came to know from this forum). CFA on the other hand is a graduate level qualification. I dont understand how is this going to benefit me when there are no CFA requirements for UK jobs apart from gaiining high level of knowledge. Having a masters and graduate degree under my belt does not motivates me to a level that could compel me to do another graduate degree. Is this a qualification that I should pursue for and why (whether yes or no)?? I hope there might are some experienced blokes/ladies who may help me out of this dilemma. Highly appreciated and many thanks in advance All the best Sumo

Yes

Where do you want to work (geography)? If it is primarily the UK, looks like you do not need the CFA. Unless of course you want the knowledge. If it is the latter, or if you plan to work in the US at some point, I’d say enroll. Personally, I like the knowledge and the worldwide appeal of the CFA program. With the world becoming more & more globalized, you don’t know where you may have to work tomorrow. So a worthwhile designation to have.

Aval, I agree fully with you. But most probably I won’t be moving outside of UK to seek jobs. Thanks Sumo

You need a good chunk of the work force to have something in order to start making that a pre-requisite, like CFA in Toronto. Otherwise you are putting down a requirement that you will hardly find any one who has. I wouldn’t go by whether CFA is a pre-requisite or not on a job description as a factor for enrollment.

You still need to take some investment exams. Accountant <> PM.

hmm a tough dilemma! Well, if i were you, then i would have got my hands on CFAI’s books (even outdated ones, without spending money to register) to start reading and learn as that seems to be the primary motive… If, in sometime, there seem to be some indication of growth in CFA charterholders’ demand in UK, that would be the point i would register in this way, you would learn what you want in your own time without the pressure of an EXAM, and when you eventually decide to register, you would have learned part of material already by then… Good Luck!

If you have a bunch of reasons for not doing the CFA exams and you are having trouble enrolling, then just bag it. Those reasons will get more and more compelling as your social life goes down the tubes, you gain 15 pounds and start huffing up the stairs, your girlfriend starts giggling in the other room while she is IM’ing, your job performance deteriorates from lack of sleep, etc…

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you have a bunch of reasons for not doing the > CFA exams and you are having trouble enrolling, > then just bag it. Those reasons will get more and > more compelling as your social life goes down the > tubes, you gain 15 pounds and start huffing up the > stairs, your girlfriend starts giggling in the > other room while she is IM’ing, your job > performance deteriorates from lack of sleep, etc… I break up with my girlfriend (a very nice and good person) while I was studying for the CFA…

If you have a bunch of reasons for not doing the CFA exams and you are having trouble enrolling, then just bag it. Those reasons will get more and more compelling as your social life goes down the tubes, you gain 15 pounds and start huffing up the stairs, your girlfriend starts giggling in the other room while she is IM’ing, your job performance deteriorates from lack of sleep, etc… ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My girl friend possesses the same degrees as I do and she wants to do the CFA course as well. However she is not as enthusiastic for this program as I am. But we both are planning to sit for the June 09 exams. She follows my footsteps and will enroll in the program if I do so. Cheers sumo