Dinesh

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Friends, I have time till 23th-Sept to > contemplate. I will make my final decision on 24th > and register for L2 If I feel it’s worth trying > for it again. > > The problem is not with redoing the study all > again, I am a hardwork and will work hard again > but the issue here was the TIME lost, 1 year gone > down… things were already pretty crammed and when > there was no margin for acceptance of a mistake, I > did the mistake, fell short in my preparation. Now > I have to rethink my strategies and see where all > this fits in. > > I wish you all the best to the L2, L3 crew! … > life moves on! What’s this BS about time? Dinesh, if you retake LII, then when you get your charter you’ll be 8 years younger than I am right now.

but Smarshy you are already there where we all 26 years old want to be at so 8 years younger/older doesnt make any difference. We want CFA to get us to the PM role etc.

^ hmm…lofty goals. i just have an internet forum obsession that i’m masking by taking an exam once a year.

D failed? WTF???

actually korea has the highest suicide rate in OECD - (see http://www.oecdobserver.org/news/fullstory.php/aid/1791/Suicide_battle.html and http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/158160.html) but never mind that dinesh - sad to see you didn’t kill it this time - you obviously know your stuff - just lousy luck on the day - it happens unfortunately. re the sunk cost (time) issue - look at it this way: 2 people (A and B) want to go to a concert. Cost of ticket is $100. Person A buys a ticket before hand. When A arrives on the night he gets out his wallet and finds that he has lost the ticket. Should he buy another ticket for another $100? Most people in that situation don’t buy another ticket because they see it as costing $200. The first $100 is a sunk cost and the concert is not worth $200 so they don’t want to pay twice the real value. Person B doesn’t buy a ticket in advance, but plans to buy a ticket when he arrives. B gets to the concert, pulls out is wallet and discovers that he has $100 less in his wallet than he thought he had - must have lost it on the train or in the street some time over the past week or so. So, does B still buy a ticket for $100? Most people in that situation do buy a ticket becuase they see the cost as being only $100. (This is based on a test which has been demonstrated dozens of times in clinical tests) So, why do most people act very differently when the underlying essential facts are the same? Both people are in exactly the same financial position - they are both down $100 on what they thought, but they act very differently because of how they view the “sunk” $100 cost. Now you spent say 300 hours (or whatever) studying level 2 - but it was spent learning stuff - and you know your stuff. This is NOT a sunk costs which was wasted and you’ll never get back or make use of. You will use the knowledge in future years to make better decisions and make more money. If you do decide to attack it again next year, you will not need to re-learn the stuff again. You will only need to top up, revise, do more practise. You’ll be in a much better position than a first time L2 exam taker. The longer you leave it the more the curriculum will change and the more new stuff there will be. Strike while the iron’s hot… You will beat this sucker!

Never thought that dinesh could fail. But I know he will just keep plugging in it and make it eventually. Good luck!

Dinish: What does not kill us will only make us stronger. This is just a minor setback, get back up and kill it next year.

Dinesh, you gambled going from dec l1 to the following l2, a challenge your NYC study group didn’t even attempt and you faced additional obstacles along the way. Throughout this process, you were inspirational in your efforts and determination. This is not sunk cost, you now have a strong foundation that will make next year’s studying much, much easier.

dinesh, take it again man, no biggie. gotta show the test-maker who wears the pants in the relationship! i’m doin L2 - june 09 - first attempt. boo yah!

Dinesh, sign up for L2 right now. I’m rooting for you. All of AF is rooting for you.

Dinesh, what kind of work do you do? I’m curious. If you are in finance, take it. I think you know most of the material very well, better than me.

dinesh you’re taking it again…and i’m not hearing otherwise… if I sound like your mommy…welll then…so be it! i’ve been through the “i failed and wasted my time and don’t want to put more time blah blah blah”…believe me…it’s worth it when you finally see the Pass…just believe me…

dinesh – take it dude. Imma actually a normal guy and you will enjoy working with me on this forum. dont give up!!!

dinesh you got a solid base to work from, next time it wont be as hard. \ i havent even checked my test results yet, im too scared, plus i have another academic pursuit i must focus on until saturday, if i fail we’ll do this thing together.

I am not very good at this… dinesh, NRIs dont quit. just grit your teeth and kick ass in 2009

Hey Dinesh I don’t think I have an extra to add to what’s already been said. But your style has been an inspiration to too many (including myself) for you to balk another one - do the '09, man. In your books (I know) the CFA Program is toast…

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dinesh – take it dude. Imma actually a normal guy > and you will enjoy working with me on this forum. > dont give up!!! Actually dinesh, maybe quitting isn’t such a bad idea ;(

^lol

Dinesh, I’m only new here, and have just received my books for L2. I already realise what sort of challenge it’s going to be and know that it is a decent size gamble to take to invest so much time and give up so much without the assurance of a result. You are not alone in the self-doubt stakes - in fact, that is probably a bigger challenge right now than the curriculum. But you’ll find a way, I’m sure. Whenever I need reminding that mere mortals do actually get their charter eventually, I re-read the promotional stuff CFAI sent me, where they have stories of people who succeeded. You can find the same stuff at http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/overview/stories.html?intCamp=cfa_program_box_stories Read Sarah Campbell’s story. She failed every level at least once. Yet she got there, eventually. Failure at this level isn’t a message to say you’re not worthy to try again. It’s just provides another test, but of a different sort.

dinesh, just look around and see what have you gained, “FRIENDS”, people who are willing to root for you, during the time when you are down and knocked out. Buddy believe me you have already gained much more than what the CFA has to offer, we all know that you can kill this, but for that you need to enter the battlefield we Indians do not give up so easily do we? chal yaar abhi register kar le CHAK DE INDIA!!